Author Topic: Trump says Civil War ‘could have been negotiated’  (Read 3114 times)

Offline libertybele

Trump says Civil War ‘could have been negotiated’
« on: January 07, 2024, 02:04:54 am »
Trump says Civil War ‘could have been negotiated’

Former President Donald Trump on Saturday suggested the Civil War could have been avoided through “negotiation,” arguing that the fight to end slavery in the US was ultimately unnecessary and that Abraham Lincoln should have done more to avoid bloodshed.

“So many mistakes were made. See, there was something I think could have been negotiated, to be honest with you,” Trump said at a campaign event in Newton, Iowa. “I think you could have negotiated that. All the people died. So many people died.”

The former president’s comments come a little over a week before the first-in-the-nation caucuses in Iowa, where he has a significant lead in the polls over his closest rivals, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley.

The Civil War has emerged as unlikely talking point on the GOP primary trail. More than a week before Trump’s comments, Haley answered a question about the cause of the Civil War without mentioning slavery – the driving force behind the war. She has since backtracked, repeatedly saying she thought the fact went without saying.

Trump’s remarks were not made in response or reference to Haley’s.

In fact, there were a series of efforts before the Civil War began to cut a deal to save the Union. But the future of slavery in the South could not be settled through compromise and the nation went to war with itself. Trump did not say how he would have prevented the conflict, which he also called “so horrible but so fascinating.”

“It was, I don’t know, it was just different,” Trump said of the war. “I just find it – I’m so attracted to seeing it.”

After describing the wounds soldiers sustained on the battlefield, Trump said, “There’s nothing nice about it,” adding the war was a “tough one for our country.”

He also suggested that Lincoln would not have the same historical cachet “if he negotiated it.”.................

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/06/politics/trump-civil-war-negotiated/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: Trump says Civil War ‘could have been negotiated’
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 02:09:49 am »
What an idiot.  I guess he never heard of the Compromises of 1820 and 1850.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 02:13:07 am »
Oh boy, more Foot in Mouth Disease.

So many things wrong with this I don’t know where to start.

Except to say besides the obvious, Trump again proves himself NOT a great speaker and definitely not an Orator.  Why people think he’s such a great speaker I don’t get.  Simpleton phrases, repeated short phrases, childish teenage-like statements.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 03:38:52 am by the OlLine Rebel »
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 02:17:48 am »
What a moron.

Seven states seceded before Lincoln was even inaugurated.  How the hell was he supposed to negotiate when he wasn't even President??

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 02:34:30 am »
Lol...

That's our nominee, folks.

The Democrats are going to eat him alive for breakfast
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 02:37:36 am »
Lol...

That's our nominee, folks.

The Democrats are going to eat him alive for breakfast

I want 2024 to be the last year Trump has any significant influence over the GOP.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 02:45:19 am »
What an ass hole.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 03:55:02 am »
Better Than Lincoln!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 04:05:52 am »
Trump should be ask what he believes Lincoln should have offered the seceding states to reverse their decision.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 05:00:07 am »
What an idiot.  I guess he never heard of the Compromises of 1820 and 1850.

Read my mind on that one.  Trump needs to steer clear commenting on items based on his knowledge of history.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2024, 05:22:30 am »
Speaking of CW history, here is a neat searchable web based database of Confederate Veteran Magazine.  It was published 1893-1932, and has many fascinating articles of 1st hand accounts of the war.  I have one great great grand uncle in the 45th GA, that wrote at least 6 articles of his experiences.  Fascinating stuff.

https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/serial?id=confedvet
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2024, 05:24:54 am »
Trump should be ask what he believes Lincoln should have offered the seceding states to reverse their decision.

Maybe $7 trillion in new debt would have done the trick.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2024, 05:27:46 am »
Maybe $7 trillion in new debt would have done the trick.

Or offer to turn Ft. Sumpter into a Trump Resort........

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 05:53:40 am »
Americans had been attempting to negotiate the issue of slavery from the Constitutional Convention of 1787 until the start of the Civil War in 1862.

1.) Abraham Lincoln did not secede South Carolina from the Union.
2.) Abraham Lincoln did not fire upon Fort Sumter.
3.) Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by a Confederate sympathizer AFTER the Civil War ended.

Orange Is The New Stupid.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 06:02:19 am »
3.) Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by a Confederate sympathizer AFTER the Civil War ended.

Abraham Lincoln took military action against the Commonwealth of Virginia four days after their secession vote.  The sole reason for the war was preserving the union against secession.  With the hindsight of history, it proved to be the best course of action.  But there wasn't a damn thing 'Constitutional' about it.

The bottom line is that the concerns and complaints of the South had been ignored for forty years before war finally broke out.  And today, the concerns and complaints of the people against the massive mountain of debt placed upon us has also gone unheeded for decades.  Except this time, it isn't going to be State against State. 
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 12:53:21 pm »
Speaking of CW history, here is a neat searchable web based database of Confederate Veteran Magazine.
Thanks for that. I'll try to find mention of the Virginia companies of my ancestors.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 03:34:52 pm »
Americans had been attempting to negotiate the issue of slavery from the Constitutional Convention of 1787 until the start of the Civil War in 1862.

Orange Is The New Stupid.

Trump apparently is ignorant of the main reason the Republican Party came into existence in the first place, which was opposition by Northern members of the Whig party to the Kansas-Nebraska Act and the abandonment of the Missouri Compromise.  Simply put, they were not willing to compromise any further on the critical issue of slavery.   The GOP slogan in the election of 1856 was "Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Speech, Free Men, and Fremont." 

The Dred Scott decision in 1857, which effectively destroyed the entire idea of slave-free states, is what galvanized anti-slavery elements in the north around the Republican Party.   The Constitutionalist Union party was the "let's compromise on slavery to keep the union together party", and its very existence proved that Republican party was not willing to compromise.  But of course, Trump doesn't really read, so he wouldn't know any of that. 

Come to think of it, it's all starting to make sense. The "let's compromise" Constitutional Union party was made up of a few ex-Whigs, but largely members of the "Know-Nothing" party.

Now there's a name that would describe Trump perfectly.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 03:53:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 04:31:49 pm »
Trump apparently is ignorant of the main reason the Republican Party came into existence in the first place, which was opposition by Northern members of the Whig party to the Kansas-Nebraska Act and the abandonment of the Missouri Compromise.  Simply put, they were not willing to compromise any further on the critical issue of slavery.   The GOP slogan in the election of 1856 was "Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Speech, Free Men, and Fremont." 

The Dred Scott decision in 1857, which effectively destroyed the entire idea of slave-free states, is what galvanized anti-slavery elements in the north around the Republican Party.   The Constitutionalist Union party was the "let's compromise on slavery to keep the union together party", and its very existence proved that Republican party was not willing to compromise.  But of course, Trump doesn't really read, so he wouldn't know any of that. 

Come to think of it, it's all starting to make sense. The "let's compromise" Constitutional Union party was made up of a few ex-Whigs, but largely members of the "Know-Nothing" party.

Now there's a name that would describe Trump perfectly.

It’s a tossup of whether Trump is ignorant, or he’s playing on the ignorance of his supporters

I suspect it’s a little of both
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2024, 04:41:07 pm »
Simply put, they were not willing to compromise any further on the critical issue of slavery.   

Exactly, after Dred Scott, the publication Hinton Rowan Helper's incendiary The Impending Crisis of the South, John Brown's Raid, and the deadlock over electing a new House Speaker in December 1858-February 1860, there were no more compromises to be made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impending_Crisis_of_the_South
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 05:08:22 pm »
It’s a tossup of whether Trump is ignorant, or he’s playing on the ignorance of his supporters

I suspect it’s a little of both

It is both, but it is far more excusable in ordinary people than it is in someone who wishes to lead an entire nation. The entire basis of representative government is that we elect representatives who are supposed to know more about critical issues than we do. So even if we are not able to follow each issue, we count on the judgment of the people we elect to have more knowledge, and consequently make better decisions.

The one fact about Trump that I've always found incredibly disturbing is that he does not like to read.  That is a massive red flag as far as I'm concerned.  The great leaders this country has had have always been avid readers. It's what gave them the depth of thought and philosophical commitment to guide this nation.

Trump is lacking completely in that regard.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 06:55:58 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 05:25:10 pm »
What exactly is this supposed to even mean?? It makes him sound like he's somewhere out in left field. Or, am I missing something??

“It was, I don’t know, it was just different,” Trump said of the war. “I just find it – I’m so attracted to seeing it.”
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 06:11:37 pm »

His answer would’ve been interesting

But it seems like there’s a lot of Civil War questions for a war that was fought well over 150 years ago

I mean, it’s not like there’s problems today in the year 2024

Barry Goldwater

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2024, 06:13:12 pm »
Speaking of CW history, here is a neat searchable web based database of Confederate Veteran Magazine.  It was published 1893-1932, and has many fascinating articles of 1st hand accounts of the war.  I have one great great grand uncle in the 45th GA, that wrote at least 6 articles of his experiences.  Fascinating stuff.

https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/serial?id=confedvet

Thanks @catfish1957 I had not seen this previously. It promises to provide many great reads.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2024, 07:00:32 pm »
His answer would’ve been interesting.

He'd just have avoided any specifics and mouthed something about him being a great negotiator.   And then his followers would cheer and say yes, he could have avoided it.  As if every else back then, including Lincoln, was just too dumb to see it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 07:02:05 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2024, 07:16:42 pm »
Trump couldn't negotiate getting a wall built with money he was in control of.