Author Topic: BREAKING: The Supreme Court will take up the case of President Trump being removed from the ballot i  (Read 3292 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court to decide if Trump banned from Colorado ballot in historic case
The U.S. Supreme Court will begin hearing argument in the beginning of February
By Sarah Rumpf-Whitten , Bill Mears , Shannon Bream Fox News
Published January 5, 2024 5:27pm EST

The U.S. Supreme Court is set to hear arguments on whether former President Trump will be on the Colorado presidential primary ballot.

The justices said they will hear the case on an expedited basis, with arguments on Feb. 8.

"The petition for a writ of certiorari is granted. The case is set for oral argument on Thursday, February 8, 2024," the decision said. "Petitioner’s brief on the merits, and any amicus curiae briefs in support or in support of neither party, are to be filed on or before Thursday, January 18, 2024."

The highest court said that the briefs are due by Jan 31.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-decide-if-trump-banned-from-colorado-ballot-historic-case
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

9-0 or 7-2 Trump's favor

No way can I see it 5-4
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
9-0 or 7-2 Trump's favor

No way can I see it 5-4

Yup.   7-2 at least is my prediction.

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online libertybele

9-0 or 7-2 Trump's favor

No way can I see it 5-4

I hope you are correct; nothing would surprise me these days. 

:bkmk:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Online LMAO

I hope you are correct; nothing would surprise me these days. 

:bkmk:

Do you believe the USSC will uphold the Colorado SC ruling?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online corbe

I just hope he doesn't call Sotomayer a Fat Pig like he did Rosie O'Donnell.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Can you Trumpers ask yourself  'WTF would be the consequences of Trump being off the Ballot in Colorado, Maine or Misogamist, RFK Jr can possible beat bidet in those States?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I can see the "Wise Latinix" and the new DEI appointed one going with a dissent. so 7-2 for me.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 11:41:49 am by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline yodaspock

Would it not be a "Fat Leaking Pig" after the abortion decision leak.

Offline cato potatoe

The law of averages will kick in.  Make no mistake, he will be convicted, and his fans will bring him back to lose some more, but he won’t lose every time and everywhere.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The vote will be 6-3 (Unless Kagan takes a principled position, she's more qualified than the other two, who are leftists by strict ideology).

Or... if Kagan holds with the other two, it might even end up being 5-4, if either Roberts or Kavanaugh quails to the other side.

I'd enjoy being proven completely wrong.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Supreme Court agrees to hear Trump plea to remain on Colorado ballot
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 02:55:50 am »
SCOTUSblog by Amy Howe 1/5/2024

The Supreme Court agreed on Friday to review a ruling by a Colorado court that barred former President Donald Trump from appearing on the state’s Republican primary ballot because of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attacks on the U.S. Capitol.

In a brief, unsigned order issued on Friday afternoon, the justices granted a petition for review filed by the former president and fast-tracked the briefing in the case, setting it for oral argument on Thursday, Feb. 8.

The case centers on the interpretation of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which was enacted in the wake of the Civil War to disqualify individuals who had been federal (or state) government officials before the war and had sworn to uphold the Constitution but then served in the Confederacy. It bars anyone who has served as “an officer of the United States” and has previously taken an oath to support the U.S. Constitution from holding “any office … under the United States” if he has “engaged in insurrection.”

A group of registered Republicans and unaffiliated voters eligible to vote in Colorado’s presidential primary filed the lawsuit last year. They argued that Trump should not be included on the state’s primary ballot because as president he had sworn an oath to support the Constitution but had engaged in insurrection on Jan. 6. They pointed to Trump’s false allegations of election fraud, as well as his statements at a speech on the Ellipse urging his supporters to march to the Capitol and fight there to prevent Congress from certifying the results of the 2020 presidential election.

More: https://www.scotusblog.com/2024/01/supreme-court-agrees-to-hear-trump-plea-to-remain-on-colorado-ballot/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Supreme Court agrees to hear Trump plea to remain on Colorado ballot
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2024, 05:38:26 am »
After the decison is 9-0 or 8-1, I hope the majority decison narrative does a major slap down and asks that those 5 CO Justices retake their bar exams, just to make sure their credentials weren't bogusl. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mod5

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Quotes from Trump's brief worth noting:

"Four years after the Fourteenth
Amendment’s ratification, Congress exercised
its power under Section 3 and passed the
Amnesty Act of 1872 with the required twothirds vote in each House. The Act provided
[t]hat all political disabilities imposed by the
third section of the fourteenth article of
amendments of the Constitution of the United
States are hereby removed from all persons
whomsoever, except Senators and
Representatives of the thirty-sixth and thirtyseventh Congresses, officers in the judicial,
military, and naval services of the United
States, heads of departments, and foreign
ministers of the United States."

Trump's first argument is that the amnesty act nullifies section 3, the Colorado authorities will argue that the amnesty act was only retroactive, and did not apply to FUTURE transgressors.

"In 1888, this Court held in U.S. v. Mouat, 124 U.S.
303, 307 (1888), that an “officer of the United States”
is only those individuals who are appointed to
positions within the federal government under Article
II of the Constitution. This definition does not extend
to those who are elected.
This Court emphasized that view again more
recently in Free Enterprise Fund v. Public Company
Accounting Oversight Board, 561 U.S. 477, 497-498
(2010), when Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that
“the people do not vote for ‘Officers of the United
States.’” Under this precedent, a cabinet official like
Attorney General Merrick Garland is an “officer of the
United States” since he was appointed by a president
and confirmed by the Senate. However, as the elected
heads of the Executive Branch, neither President
Joseph Biden nor former President Trump is a
current or former “officer of the United States.” "

Trump's second argument is that he is not an "officer of the United States" under the accepted definition of that term.

"finding an insurrection or rebellion
contradicts the decisions of the Senate. On January
11, 2021, the U.S. House of Representatives
introduced articles of impeachment against President
Trump that included the charge of “incitement of
insurrection.” Art. I, H. Res. 24, 117th Cong., 1st
Session. The Senate, which has the sole power to
remove a president under Section 3 of Art. I of the
Constitution, acquitted President Trump of that
charge on February 13, 2021."

Trump's third argument is that he has been acquitted of the charge of insurrection by the senate, and therefore cannot be penalized for engaging in one.

Pretty interesting stuff. The second argument alone seems pretty cut and dry. Section 3 does not apply to Trump. I predict the court will go 7-2 in Trump's favor, with the concurring liberal writing a scathing opinion on Trump's actions, but holding with the majority.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 07:14:19 am by massadvj »

Online Hoodat

The chief argument should be that Colorado law specifically states that political parties alone get to choose what names go on their primary ballots.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The chief argument should be that Colorado law specifically states that political parties alone get to choose what names go on their primary ballots.

I'd make that my last argument and de-emphasize it because it basically invites Colorado to do the exact same thing for the general election where that argument wouldn't apply.  So you'd then be facing an entirely new case but with a shorter window to appeal.  And they'd be facing a massive number of those cases simultaneously.

They need to win on the more substantive due process grounds, and the sooner, the better.

Ultimately, the Trump campaign has to
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 11:48:54 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline mountaineer

Ann Vandersteel
@annvandersteel
The Colorado Secretary of State says she won’t count the ballots that have Trump’s name on them.

Guys, this is APOCALYPTIC. We’ve reached the point where  DEMOCRATS are OPENLY ADMITTING they will CHEAT our presidential election! LIKE IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

Jena Griswold MUST BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE for this! In fact, every Democrat who thinks they have the right to cheat if TRUMP is on the ballot… MUST BE REMOVED NOW, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

Everyone from elected officials right down the line to poll workers.

Because what this TDS SUFFERER just said tells us in no uncertain terms that:

THE 2024 ELECTIONS WILL NOT BE RUN FAIRLY!

And when that happens…

THERE GOES OUR DEMOCRACY RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW!

GOP, DO SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE!

FIGHT FOR US!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
8:50 AM · Jan 6, 2024

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Ann Vandersteel
@annvandersteel
The Colorado Secretary of State says she won’t count the ballots that have Trump’s name on them.

Even the U.S.S.R. at its most despot at least pretended to count the votes.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Obviously, Colorado needs a new Secretary of State!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Even the U.S.S.R. at its most despot at least pretended to count the votes.
Apparently, Democrats no longer bother to pretend how tyrannical and anti-Constitution they really are, because they are confident they'll get away with it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Ann Vandersteel
@annvandersteel

Guys, this is APOCALYPTIC. We’ve reached the point where  DEMOCRATS are OPENLY ADMITTING they will CHEAT our presidential election! LIKE IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!

Jena Griswold MUST BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE for this! In fact, every Democrat who thinks they have the right to cheat if TRUMP is on the ballot… MUST BE REMOVED NOW, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

Everyone from elected officials right down the line to poll workers.

Because what this TDS SUFFERER just said tells us in no uncertain terms that:

THE 2024 ELECTIONS WILL NOT BE RUN FAIRLY!

And when that happens…

THERE GOES OUR DEMOCRACY RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW!

GOP, DO SOMETHING FOR A CHANGE!

FIGHT FOR US!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
8:50 AM · Jan 6, 2024

Maybe it's just me, but when I see that kind of stuff with all the capitalized words, exclamation points, and apocalyptic language, I immediate think "nutbag alert".