Author Topic: ‘Gang of 5’ GOP lawmakers: ‘Shut the border down, or we’ll shut the government down’  (Read 521 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
‘Gang of 5’ GOP lawmakers: ‘Shut the border down, or we’ll shut the government down’
January 3, 2024 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

House Republicans are warning Democrats that if they don’t follow the law and close the border, they will make good on their threat to shut the government down since they control the purse strings.

House Speaker Mike Johnson led a delegation of 60 lawmakers to the border to see the chaos there firsthand. The Biden administration has ushered in a tidal wave of millions of illegal immigrants who have inundated the country in an alleged attempt to shift the voting demographic in Democrats’ favor.

Republicans have had enough and have previously tied sending funding to Ukraine to shutting down the border.

Fox News’ Bill Melugin named a group of GOP lawmakers who he said have declared, “Shut the border down, or we’ll shut the government down. We control the money.”

https://twitter.com/BillMelugin_/status/1742556425073705116

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2024/01/03/gang-of-5-gop-lawmakers-shut-the-border-down-or-well-shut-the-government-down-1424640/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Works for me."

For me, too.
But...
They don't have the intestinal fortitude.
Wait and see...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Intestinal fortitude isn't the issue - having enough votes is.  And something tells me a group called the "Gang of Five" is going to fall just a bit short in terms of having enough.

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online roamer_1

Intestinal fortitude isn't the issue - having enough votes is.  And something tells me a group called the "Gang of Five" is going to fall just a bit short in terms of having enough.

They had enough to knock off a Speaker... Let's see if that cost them power or increased it... One thing that people know for sure now is that they mean it.

As for me, more power to em.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Shut it down.  Idle corrupt legisltors can't spend more.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Execute the Nike gambit - just do it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
They had enough to knock off a Speaker... Let's see if that cost them power or increased it... One thing that people know for sure now is that they mean it.

As for me, more power to em.

Well, the difference is that the Democrats almost unanimously supported the efforts of a handful of dissenting Republicans to remove McCarthy as speaker.  Those same Democrats are not going to be joining these dissenting Republicans to stop all spending across the board.

What bugs me so much about things like this is that it is deliberate grandstanding with no hope of success. There is no way the Democrats are going to roll over and give Republicans everything they want on the border. What might have a chance of working is a negotiation where Republicans get at least some of what they're looking for on the border. But that kind of compromise can't happen when you have a handful of Republicans who will support only in all or nothing proposition.  That handful of holdouts outs will destroy the GOP leverage, and give the Democrats every incentive to hold out until enough moderate Republicans agree to pass a clean spending resolution with no border provisions at all.

If you want to keep the moderates on board, you can't make it in all or nothing proposition.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 06:20:40 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I'm cool with that.  Let's hope these dogs have bite, as well as bark.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.