Author Topic: Mickey Mouse, Tigger and more: Notable works entering the public domain in 2024  (Read 487 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mickey-mouse-tigger-lady-chatterleys-lover-notable-works-enter-public-domain-2024/
by Leo Rocha
January 1, 2024

The earliest versions of Mickey and Minnie Mouse now belong to the American people. The characters as they appear in the animated short films "Steamboat Willie" and "Plane Crazy" entered the U.S. public domain Monday, along with thousands of other works from 1928.

Legal experts at Duke University say the Walt Disney Company still retains the copyrights to later iterations of the iconic mice for the time being, as well as the trademarks, but people "are free to copy, share and build on" the 1928 depictions of the pair.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I always had a soft spot for Tigger. He bounces!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I thought all the Pooh characters were from AA Milne. Tigger first appeared in (the book) The House at Pooh Corner in 1928.

I remember reading those books before Disney got a hold of Pooh...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I thought all the Pooh characters were from AA Milne. Tigger first appeared in (the book) The House at Pooh Corner in 1928.

I remember reading those books before Disney got a hold of Pooh...
You're right. Milne published the two books that created those characters in the late 1920s. That's why they entered public domain yesterday. Disney only acquired the (now expired) intellectual property in the '70s.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024