Author Topic: Baseball 2024  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Baseball 2024
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2024, 02:34:04 am »
Yankees voice John Sterling retiring immediately due to health concerns

John Sterling has reached the end of his illustrious Yankees play-by-play career.

The longtime Yankees radio voice is retiring effective immediately, the team announced Monday afternoon, and he will be honored with a ceremony on Saturday at Yankee Stadium.

Sterling, 85, is retiring due to health concerns, The Athletic reported.

“I am a very blessed human being,” Sterling said in a release. “I have been able to do what I wanted, broadcasting for 64 years. As a little boy growing up in New York as a Yankees fan, I was able to broadcast the Yankees for 36 years. It’s all to my benefit, and I leave very, very happy. I look forward to seeing everyone again on Saturday.”

https://nypost.com/2024/04/15/sports/yankees-john-sterling-expected-to-retire-this-week-due-to-health-concerns/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2024, 02:34:44 am »
Yankees voice John Sterling retiring immediately due to health concerns

https://nypost.com/2024/04/15/sports/yankees-john-sterling-expected-to-retire-this-week-due-to-health-concerns/

I can't imagine listening to Yankee radio without John Sterling.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2024, 04:17:48 am »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:27:02 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2024, 04:22:10 am »
Jim Edmonds, 2004

=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiBd6MD6aUk] [/url]

Kevin Mitchell, 1989

=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0MzrYPm4w] [/url]

Gary Matthews, Jr., 2006

=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWCvCTR3o3g] [/url]

Once again you gotta play the azzhole, don't you??    :laugh:

Anybody can jump straight up waiting for the ball to arrive, dumb-cluck.  Made a dozen of those myself in my playing days.

Check out where Mullins was at the crack of the bat and then where he ended up.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Go back to the Ukraine War thread, and leave us alone. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:45:57 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2024, 01:26:43 pm »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2024, 01:40:50 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aeni5vhobYw

Who's a good boy?!!?!!!?!

I love this, @Gefn. A great start to my day. The bobblehead is to die for. I'd rather see the team find a dog that already exists to take Rookie's place when it's time. I wish no more puppies would be born until all dogs have good homes, but that's just me living in my dream world. Sigh.

P.S. Kitties, too.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2024, 06:49:56 pm »
Sometimes there's just not enough racism to go around. That doesn't keep them from making up stuff.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2024, 07:11:13 pm »
Sometimes there's just not enough racism to go around. That doesn't keep them from making up stuff.

@AllThatJazzZ
Agree.

Today, they announced Whitey Herzog's death at 92.  ESPN has a column title about "Whitey Ball".

It 'triggered' me!   :silly:  Followed him during his managerial career and never heard/saw the term.

But I'm sure a certain Briefer will show up any minute now with several pieces using the term.  (bleep that he is) /S

Online mountaineer

« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2024, 07:45:03 pm »
I lived in St. Louis during the "Whitey ball" days. It wasn't a very widely used expression, but not entirely unfamiliar.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2024, 08:11:25 pm »
Herzog was one of the last fire brands who graced the diamond, and rightfully ruled the team with intimidation and love of the game at the same time.

I miss old time baseball, where players were making fractional of billion dollar contracts, and have to be cotteled, and will whimper to their labor chiefs at any evidence of unhappiness.  BTW..."Whitey" was his name in the baseball vernacular.  And gladly accept this middle finger if anyone is bothered by that name.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/herzowh01.shtml
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:12:59 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2024, 08:49:00 pm »
Herzog was one of the last fire brands who graced the diamond, and rightfully ruled the team with intimidation and love of the game at the same time.

I miss old time baseball, where players were making fractional of billion dollar contracts, and have to be cotteled, and will whimper to their labor chiefs at any evidence of unhappiness.  BTW..."Whitey" was his name in the baseball vernacular.  And gladly accept this middle finger if anyone is bothered by that name.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/herzowh01.shtml

LOL!  I agree!  Should have included an "/s" on my post.  So many anal members here.

Had an uncle on my dad's side...name was Elmer.  Everyone knew him by "Whitey".

He stormed the Normandy Beach during WWII.  Parents told us that he never spoke of it, but one Christmas Eve, during a visit, he had a complete breakdown.  Cannot imagine what this man witnessed with his eyes and what he experienced on that beach.

He had a penchant to walk around the house and spontaneously he would pick up specks of lint off the carpets.

He was always 'nervous' by nature.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2024, 10:03:50 pm »
Whitey was a fan favorite in STL. He followed Red Schoendienst - two much beloved baseball guys.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2024, 01:40:21 pm »

Couldn't agree more.  It's the best reality show ever. I also like this one:

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2024, 02:30:17 pm »
I can attest to this. As a newbie to the sport, I can tell that I know more and understand more strategy with each year. And yet, I'm still a newbie. That's baseball.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2024, 08:22:34 pm »
Confirmed: Baltimore Orioles Outfielder Already Deserves Catch Of The Year

Baltimore Orioles Taylor · April 17, 2024

VIDEO AT LINK:

There isn’t an official award for the best catch of the year, but there should be.

And if it existed, they should just give it to Baltimore Orioles outfielder Cedric Mullins right now.

The 2024 season is still only a few weeks old, but it’s hard to imagine someone topping the catch that Mullins made on Monday against the Minnesota Twins.

With two outs and a runner on third in the top of the first, Twins shortstop Kyle Farmer ripped a 2-2 fastball from Cole Irvin into the gap in left-center field.

The ball had trouble written all over it and kept carrying, tailing away from Mullins towards the warning track.

At the last possible second, Mullins went airborne, diving full-speed with his right arm extended. Somehow, the ball fell into his outstretched glove and stayed there.

The TV announcers dubbed it “an impossible catch.” Irvin seemed to agree, raising his arms in the air and removing his cap in excitement.

Mullins’ spectacular grab ended the frame for Minnesota, saving a run and keeping the score tied at 0-0.

Instead of having an RBI double or triple, Farmer went back to the dugout with a long out.

The play seemed to light a spark under the Orioles, who scored two runs in their half of the inning to take an early lead that they never relinquished.

Mullins chipped in at the plate as well with a sacrifice fly in the third inning and a two-run homer in the fifth, helping secure Baltimore’s 10th win.

Between making a catch like that and hitting a home run, it’s hard to have a better day at the park than Mullins just did.

https://sportnews.mamamath.net/confirmed-baltimore-orioles-outfielder-already-deserves-catch-of-the-year/

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2024, 08:29:26 pm »
"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

I can't verify who actually said that. Some sources say former Major League catcher and manager Wes Westrum said it. More sources attribute the quote to another long-time Major League manager, Leo Durocher.

Leo was known by many names: The All-American Out, Swamper, Lippy, and Leo the Lip. As a manager, he was quite well-known for his direct, often confrontational style. Though he left pro baseball many decades ago, he is still near the top of the list for most ejections from a game. He was also quite well-known for winning. He was not, however, known as a church-goer. It seems that if the quote truly is his, though, then he had some experience in the church world. At least enough to understand that most of us are in a process of making sense of the mysteries of faith… and baseball.

How is baseball like church?
Let's face it. Baseball frustrates the uninitiated. My young son exemplified this when he yelled "What are you doing?!" at a pitcher who had just issued an intentional walk. A key principle of the game is to keep runners off base. So why did the pitcher purposefully put a runner on?

We attend. But we don't understand.

However, baseball excites and inspires us, too. Some inspiration is found in the tension we experience while we are constantly searching for better understanding. I've followed the game for a few decades, yet each season reveals new and fascinating peculiarities to the game. I love learning more.

Should I expect anything different from church? Afterall, church and baseball hold many similarities...

"10 ways baseball is like church:

Most of us have some experience with it.

Sometimes it feels like it will never end.

So. Many. Traditions.

Long lines for food and drink.

It requires sacrifice.

At some point, we all get to stand and sing.

It's a team endeavor.

There's something beautifully unifying in traditions.

"Home" is the final destination.

Participants will never be perfect… but we get to play anyway."

https://www.umc.org/en/content/baseball-is-like-church

@Polly Ticks   @AllThatJazzZ

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2024, 09:29:44 pm »
"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

I can't verify who actually said that. Some sources say former Major League catcher and manager Wes Westrum said it. More sources attribute the quote to another long-time Major League manager, Leo Durocher.

Leo was known by many names: The All-American Out, Swamper, Lippy, and Leo the Lip. As a manager, he was quite well-known for his direct, often confrontational style. Though he left pro baseball many decades ago, he is still near the top of the list for most ejections from a game. He was also quite well-known for winning. He was not, however, known as a church-goer. It seems that if the quote truly is his, though, then he had some experience in the church world. At least enough to understand that most of us are in a process of making sense of the mysteries of faith… and baseball.

How is baseball like church?
Let's face it. Baseball frustrates the uninitiated. My young son exemplified this when he yelled "What are you doing?!" at a pitcher who had just issued an intentional walk. A key principle of the game is to keep runners off base. So why did the pitcher purposefully put a runner on?

We attend. But we don't understand.

However, baseball excites and inspires us, too. Some inspiration is found in the tension we experience while we are constantly searching for better understanding. I've followed the game for a few decades, yet each season reveals new and fascinating peculiarities to the game. I love learning more.

Should I expect anything different from church? Afterall, church and baseball hold many similarities...

"10 ways baseball is like church:

Most of us have some experience with it.

Sometimes it feels like it will never end.

So. Many. Traditions.

Long lines for food and drink.

It requires sacrifice.

At some point, we all get to stand and sing.

It's a team endeavor.

There's something beautifully unifying in traditions.

"Home" is the final destination.

Participants will never be perfect… but we get to play anyway."

https://www.umc.org/en/content/baseball-is-like-church

@Polly Ticks   @AllThatJazzZ

@DCPatriot
I love that!  Thanks for the ping, baseball buddy!
 :beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2024, 09:59:05 pm »
@DCPatriot
I love that!  Thanks for the ping, baseball buddy!

@Polly Ticks

:beer:   happy77

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2024, 03:26:18 am »
Once again you gotta play the azzhole, don't you??    :laugh:

Stop embarrassing yourself. Go back to the Ukraine War thread, and leave us alone.

This thread is about baseball, not about you, @DCPatriot .

Anybody can jump straight up waiting for the ball to arrive, dumb-cluck.  Made a dozen of those myself in my playing days.

Check out where Mullins was at the crack of the bat and then where he ended up.

None of the posted videos involved a player waiting for the ball to arrive and jumping straight up.  Edmonds caught the ball backhanded.  Matthews took his eye off the ball twice before gloving it.  And Mitchell didn't even use a glove.  They were all spectacular catches that any baseball enthusiast would admire.  Not sure why you felt the need to insult me over it.  Again, it wasn't about you.  The Mullins catch was equally spectacular.  I thank @AllThatJazzZ for posting it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2024, 03:58:02 am »
Long before the era of ESPN, and 24/7 baseball coverage and film, I remember seeing a play by CF Ceasar Cedeno (circa '71) that has to be the greatest I've seen.

Cedeno was playing in with man on 3rd with <2 outs, and a ball by a Pirate hitter(if memory serves)  was smoked high and deep to center.  Cedeno broke early and clean and dove at near the warning track catching it. Seemed impossible.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2024, 04:18:16 am »
Long before the era of ESPN, and 24/7 baseball coverage and film, I remember seeing a play by CF Ceasar Cedeno (circa '71) that has to be the greatest I've seen.

For me, it was a catch Claudell Washington made when he was with the Braves.  He climbed the wall running parallel to it as if it grew stairs.

At the time, the Braves had seriously overpaid Washington with a very generous contract.  Rumor has it that Ted Turner was drunk at some party and thought he was talking to Dave Winfield's agent, not Claudell Washington's.

Anyway, wish I could find a video of that catch.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2024, 05:07:14 am »
This thread is about baseball, not about you, @DCPatriot .

None of the posted videos involved a player waiting for the ball to arrive and jumping straight up.  Edmonds caught the ball backhanded.  Matthews took his eye off the ball twice before gloving it.  And Mitchell didn't even use a glove.  They were all spectacular catches that any baseball enthusiast would admire.  Not sure why you felt the need to insult me over it.  Again, it wasn't about you.  The Mullins catch was equally spectacular.  I thank @AllThatJazzZ for posting it.

@Hoodat

Liar!!  Who do you think you're kidding??

You posted all three videos without comment merely to mock me for suggesting it was "the greatest catch I had ever seen"...clearly suggesting that there were better ones.

Anybody can search "greatest outfield catches" and come up with a ton of examples.  That's all you did and that was your intent.

Now run along little man.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2024, 10:51:15 am »

Cedeno was playing in with man on 3rd with <2 outs, and a ball by a Pirate hitter(if memory serves)  was smoked high and deep to center.  Cedeno broke early and clean and dove at near the warning track catching it. Seemed impossible.

Imagine all the 'impossible' catches there were BEFORE there were a half-dozen cameras covering the field.

Grew up watching in B&W with a single camera in the upper deck behind home plate.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2024, 01:18:08 pm »

Imagine all the 'impossible' catches there were BEFORE there were a half-dozen cameras covering the field.

Grew up watching in B&W with a single camera in the upper deck behind home plate.

The greatest catch of all time, and there have been many, was by the say hey kid (Willie Mays) in center field at Yankee Stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLt2xKaNH0
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2024, 01:21:31 pm »
The greatest catch of all time, and there have been many, was by the say hey kid (Willie Mays) in center field at Yankee Stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLt2xKaNH0

Polo Grounds!  Say Hey!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck