Author Topic: Baseball 2024  (Read 10081 times)

Offline Hoodat

Baseball 2024
« on: January 01, 2024, 07:26:37 pm »
To  start off the Baseball 2024 thread:

Here is one prediction for every team in '24

Hope abounds at the beginning of the year -- especially in the baseball world. With the season getting closer (almost 50 days until the start of Spring Training), now's the time to start daydreaming about summer days spent watching your favorite team at the ballyard.

With that optimism in mind, here's one bold prediction for each MLB team in 2024.

AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST

Blue Jays: Bo Bichette will establish himself among AL’s superstars

Orioles: They will reach the postseason again in 2024

Rays: The postseason losing streak will end

Red Sox: The Red Sox will win more games than they did in 2023

Yankees: Aaron Judge will try to break his home run record

AL CENTRAL

Indians: Tanner Bibee will be an AL Cy Young finalist

Royals: Bobby Witt Jr. will be an All-Star

Tigers: The sluggish starts will end

Twins: Pablo López will win the AL Cy Young

White Sox: They will be better in 2024 than they were in ’23

AL WEST

Angels: Mike Trout will have another MVP-caliber season

Astros: Yordan Alvarez will win the AL MVP in 2024

A's: Brent Rooker will be an All-Star again

Mariners: Julio Rodríguez will make a serious run at the AL MVP Award

Rangers: Corey Seager will win the AL MVP

NL EAST

Braves: Max Fried will win the NL Cy Young Award

Marlins: Jazz Chisholm Jr. will return to All-Star form

Mets: The team will be better in 2024 than it was in ’23

Nationals: Hunter Harvey will take over as closer

Phillies: A true race in the NL East

NL CENTRAL

Brewers: Freddy Peralta will win the NL Cy Young Award

Cardinals: Reliable pitching could lead to NL Central contention

Cubs: North Siders get back to playoffs

Pirates: Ke’Bryan Hayes will win his first Platinum Glove

Reds: Cincinnati will make the postseason

NL WEST

D-backs: Arizona will be playoff bound again

Dodgers: Dodger Stadium will be more electric than ever before

Giants: A Giant will win NL Rookie of the Year

Padres: San Diego will win more games than it did in '23

Rockies: Ezequiel Tovar will go from an intriguing rookie in ‘23 to a mainstay

https://www.mlb.com/news/one-prediction-for-every-mlb-team-in-2024
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Re: Baseball 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 07:29:45 pm »
Conspicuously absent from the list above are any negative predictions, such as 'The Rockies are going to suck even worse than last year'.  But I do have one negative prediction that is a 100% certainty:

The Braves will make the playoffs, but lose in the first round.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 09:02:18 pm »
 :bkmk:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 10:19:21 pm »
Conspicuously absent from the list above are any negative predictions, such as 'The Rockies are going to suck even worse than last year'.  But I do have one negative prediction that is a 100% certainty:

The Braves will make the playoffs, but lose in the first round.

This definitely calls for a 2019 throwback.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 10:45:38 pm »
 :bkmk:
"Dodgers: Dodger Stadium will be more electric than ever before"

They'll need to be.  Because it might be tough paying the electric bill after handing one player $800M
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 01:16:48 pm »
Thanks, @Hoodat. Nice job.

Can someone explain this to me?

- Astros: Yordan Alvarez will win the AL MVP in 2024

- Rangers: Corey Seager will win the AL MVP

Can there be more than one?  :shrug:

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 03:38:10 pm »

MLB..com jumped the shark when they (without warning) zotted all their fan forums.  Haven't been back since
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 04:00:40 pm »
MLB..com jumped the shark when they (without warning) zotted all their fan forums.  Haven't been back since

Yeah, that was pretty stupid.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 10:51:42 pm »

Does that mean you won't answer my question?  :shrug:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 01:36:37 am »

It means that Joe Blow wrote the predictions for the Astros while Walter Floompdoop wrote the predictions for the Rangers.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 03:00:39 am »
Does that mean you won't answer my question?  :shrug:

I'm sorry.  Only 1 MVP per league.  And since TX and Hou are both in the AL, not happenng. At least not in the same year.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 09:51:29 am »
It means that Joe Blow wrote the predictions for the Astros while Walter Floompdoop wrote the predictions for the Rangers.

@Hoodat

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. That said, I vote for Joe Blow's prediction.  wink777

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 04:55:29 pm »
If the 'Stros can keep some decent bats ahead and behind Alvarez, I can easily see him having the greatest season ever by an Astro,  I mean stuff like 55 homers and 140 rbi's. 

He's a monster.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 04:19:40 pm »
The Wander Franco saga is getting worse as more details emerge.  One has to hope MLB and players assoc will allow the Rays to void his contract if convicted. 

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 05:06:19 pm »
The Wander Franco saga is getting worse as more details emerge.  One has to hope MLB and players assoc will allow the Rays to void his contract if convicted.

Here's a link in case there's anyone else besides me who hasn't been following the story. 14 years old? Ewwww.....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rays-wander-franco-awaits-ruling-from-judge-after-d-r-prosecutors-allege-relationship-with-14-year-old-girl/

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 06:23:15 pm »

Here's a link in case there's anyone else besides me who hasn't been following the story. 14 years old? Ewwww.....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rays-wander-franco-awaits-ruling-from-judge-after-d-r-prosecutors-allege-relationship-with-14-year-old-girl/

... and being trafficked by her own mother.  Very, very disturbing story all the way around.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2024, 01:17:23 pm »
An Astro for Life!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10108287-mlb-rumors-jose-altuve-astros-agree-to-5-year-125m-contract-extension

@AllThatJazzZ

Reading furhter on that site, it seems that the team is warm to re-signing Bregman too for big bucks. 

Problem with that is does that leave enough cash reserves to cover the real future of the team...  Tucker and Alvarez.  I think I would have let Altuve and Bregman walk for their involvement the '17 cheating stuff. And focus on the Alvarez who IMO may end up being the greatest Astros player of all time.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2024, 07:09:39 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Reading furhter on that site, it seems that the team is warm to re-signing Bregman too for big bucks. 

Problem with that is does that leave enough cash reserves to cover the real future of the team...  Tucker and Alvarez.  I think I would have let Altuve and Bregman walk for their involvement the '17 cheating stuff. And focus on the Alvarez who IMO may end up being the greatest Astros player of all time.

@catfish1957

Dayum, dude! I'm glad you're not calling the shots.  22222frying pan IIRC, you were the one thinking it was ill-advised to bring back JV, suggesting that he was on the decline. He served us well when we got him back. I wonder if you're given to overthinking?  :tongue2:

Anyway, I can't wait till the season starts. I'm going to need the distraction during this contentious election year.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2024, 07:23:33 pm »
@catfish1957

Dayum, dude! I'm glad you're not calling the shots.  22222frying pan IIRC, you were the one thinking it was ill-advised to bring back JV, suggesting that he was on the decline. He served us well when we got him back. I wonder if you're given to overthinking?  :tongue2:

Anyway, I can't wait till the season starts. I'm going to need the distraction during this contentious election year.

:tongue2:

Ya got me on JV.  Still after being a obsessive fan for 60 years, I think I've alwas had a pretty good pulse on the team direction.

That said, are you going to be here to respond if we don't have the capital to pay Avalrez on his way to a 600 HR, 3000 hit , .300 lifetime average?   :beer:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2024, 07:52:17 pm »
:tongue2:

Ya got me on JV.  Still after being a obsessive fan for 60 years, I think I've alwas had a pretty good pulse on the team direction.

That said, are you going to be here to respond if we don't have the capital to pay Avalrez on his way to a 600 HR, 3000 hit , .300 lifetime average?   :beer:

@catfish1957

I'll be here wearing my big-girl pants.

Can't wait for Feb. 24 (Nationals/Spring Training), but mostly for Mar. 28 (Yankees/Regular Season).

Our boys are #relentless

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 08:15:24 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2024, 03:28:45 am »
@AllThatJazzZ

Remember this guy?  When I first got into Rotisserie Baseball, our league allowed two minor league draft picks each year which enabled an owner to have first rights on any call-up they had chosen.  My first pick was Wagner.  He averaged over two strikeouts per inning in college.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 02:26:44 pm »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2024, 02:35:01 pm »
Baseball is so close I can smell it!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2024, 02:50:55 pm »
Baseball is so close I can smell it!

:beer: Yep. I can feel the fever coming on.