General Category > General Discussion

Obituaries for 2024

<< < (50/55) > >>

Timber Rattler:

--- Quote from: verga on April 22, 2024, 02:10:05 pm ---Back in the day the Buffalo Bills would hold open practices at one of the local colleges. There would be about a 100 kids there watching. O. J. would be one of the few that stayed until every kids that got an autograph got one. Adult me was devastated when the news broke. I did not want to believe it. NEVER meet your heroes.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, they used to train just down the road at Fredonia State University.

PeteS in CA:
Rev. Cecil Williams, Glide Memorial Church co-founder and San Francisco leader, dies at 94

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/rev-cecil-williams-glide-memorial-co-founder-san-francisco-community-pillar-dies-at-94/

--- Quote ---Reverend Cecil Williams, who co-founded Glide Memorial Church and dedicated his life to San Francisco's underserved community, died Monday at the age of 94.

The Glide Foundation said he died surrounded by friends and family at his San Francisco home.

"We have lost an incomparable champion of social justice, civil and human rights, and liberation theology," Glide said.

In a statement, San Francisco Mayor London Breed described Williams as the "conscience of San Francisco community."
--- End quote ---

As Social Gospelers go (or went), he was pretty much all social, no Gospel. OTOH, unlike some Social Gospelers, his hands and feet were where his mouth was. Sadly, while he would not recognize it, things he did did much harm, possibly more than any good he did (speaking secularly).

dfwgator:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on April 23, 2024, 12:39:57 am ---Rev. Cecil Williams, Glide Memorial Church co-founder and San Francisco leader, dies at 94

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/rev-cecil-williams-glide-memorial-co-founder-san-francisco-community-pillar-dies-at-94/

As Social Gospelers go (or went), he was pretty much all social, no Gospel. OTOH, unlike some Social Gospelers, his hands and feet were where his mouth was. Sadly, while he would not recognize it, things he did did much harm, possibly more than any good he did (speaking secularly).

--- End quote ---

Sounds like Jim Jones without the Kool-Aid.

PeteS in CA:

--- Quote from: dfwgator on April 23, 2024, 12:46:56 am ---Sounds like Jim Jones without the Kool-Aid.

--- End quote ---

From what I've heard, Before heading off to start Jonestown, Jim Jones did do some social assistance type stuff in SF. This would have been, I guess, in the early and/or mid 70s, before I moved from Phoenix to Silicon Valley.

Cecil Williams preached all the radical stuff - race-victimology, anti-American, yada, yada, yada - but unlike, e.g., Jesse or Sharp Al, Williams did try to aid people with food and necessaries. His activities might actually have been more helpful than government programs by actually dealing with individuals as individuals.

I'm not anything like a fan, but I do try to be realistic.

Timber Rattler:
Colonel Tigh in the original Battlestar Galactica.

Terry Carter, ‘Battlestar Galactica’ and ‘McCloud’ Actor, Dies at 95

https://variety.com/2024/film/people-news/terry-carter-dead-battlestar-galactica-mccloud-1235979429/

--- Quote ---Terry Carter, who played sergeant Joe Broadhurst on the TV series “McCloud” and detective Colonel Tigh on the original “Battlestar Galactica,” died at his home in New York, N.Y., Tuesday morning. He was 95.

Born John Everett DeCoste in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Dec. 16, 1928, to parents of Dominican, Argentine and African American descent, Carter would go on to become the first Black TV news anchor for Boston’s WBZ-TV Eyewitness News, where he also became their first opening night drama and movie critic. He was also one of the first Black regulars on the 1956 TV sitcom series “The Phil Silvers Show,” in which he played Private Sugarman.

Carter’s other credits include the 1970 TV movie “Company of Killers,” in which he starred alongside Van Johnson and Ray Milland, and the 1974 film “Foxy Brown” with Pam Grier.
--- End quote ---

EXCERPT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version