Author Topic: Accused Grand Central stabber is tragic example of NYC’s ‘revolving door’ justice system: ‘We’re pay  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Accused Grand Central stabber is tragic example of NYC’s ‘revolving door’ justice system: ‘We’re paying the price’
By Social Links forMegan Palin , Social Links forTina Moore , Social Links forCraig McCarthy and Social Links forKyle Schnitzer
Published Dec. 29, 2023, 8:15 p.m. ET

The crazed man accused of stabbing two teen tourists at Grand Central Terminal and then slashing a fellow inmate at Rikers Island is the latest tragic example of New York City’s broken criminal justice system, fed-up lawmakers, advocates and law enforcement sources told The Post.

Steven Hutcherson, 36, is being held at the Bronx lock-up without bail on attempted murder as a hate crime and other charges for allegedly knifing the two teens on Christmas Day, before attacking another inmate in the jail.

But, Hutcherson — who has a history of mental health issues and at least 17 prior arrests — shouldn’t have been out on the streets in the first place because it had been clear for some time that he was dangerous and needed treatment, according to several people who spoke to The Post.

He had also been classified as an “emotionally disturbed person” in prior brushes with police, the law enforcement sources said.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/29/metro/accused-grand-central-stabber-is-tragic-example-of-nycs-revolving-door-justice-system/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson