Author Topic: Democrat Mayor Celebrates Removal of Statue That Honored Women of the South  (Read 401 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Democrat Mayor Celebrates Removal of Statue That Honored Women of the South
Story by Ben Kew  •
14h

One Democratic mayor has no interest in honoring the women who helped build modern America.

Donna Deegan, who was elected as the mayor of Jacksonville, Florida, in May, celebrated the removal of a Confederate statue on Wednesday but insisted she was not trying to "erase history" in the process.

The statue, named "In Memory of Our Women of the Southland," was erected in October 1915 and showed a woman holding her two young children by her side. It was situated in the neighborhood of Springfield, north of downtown Jacksonville.

Posting on the X social media platform, Deegan said the statue's removal was about showing the city's "shared humanity."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/democrat-mayor-celebrates-removal-of-statue-that-honored-women-of-the-south/ar-AA1mdNqU?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e08e6b2d15484eefa7f5aa557b4d3356&ei=51
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'll bet she strongly supports women who are Muslim terrorists of Hamas, though! :cheerlead:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline the OlLine Rebel

So beyond sick of this pandering virtue-signaling.

And slanderous, libelous destruction of our history.  Sorry, it IS slander.  We are not and have not been that evil a nation.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So beyond sick of this pandering virtue-signaling.

And slanderous, libelous destruction of our history.  Sorry, it IS slander.  We are not and have not been that evil a nation.
We have had our moments, but the monuments to reconciliation from that conflict are being systematically eliminated by decrees from people largely ignorant of the history of that conflict, and the reconciliation that is still going on, albeit in retrograde.

Still, to not focus on the good that has been done, the millions of lives sacrificed on the altar of freedom, both here and abroad, and to adhere to the historical fables that try to present very complex motivations as oversimplified caricatures of history as a basis for the destruction of those reminders of that complexity is folly. The same people who failed to understand the issues of that particular conflict will bring about the next through their lack of understanding.

It isn't just learning History which prevents its repetition, it is the understanding of History, which requires much more than a superficial treatment thereof.

Yet here we are, with urban populations proposing eliminating the means of production possessed by those who produce the very essentials on which they rely, economically and existentially, and looking at a cultural divide between those proposing that elimination and those who produce every bit as vast as that which existed in 1860, even as the monuments which commemorated the complexity and suffering of that conflict are being destroyed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis