Author Topic: Grocery Prices Are Set to Shift Again in 2024—Here’s What to Expect  (Read 1225 times)

Online libertybele

Does this surprise anyone? Ridiculous food prices are here to stay.........

Grocery Prices Are Set to Shift Again in 2024—Here’s What to Expect

If you’re sick of being blindsided by inflated price tags at the grocery store, you’re not alone—volatile prices and frequent shortages made 2023 a tough year for food shoppers. Though pandemic-era inflation eased slowly this year, certain products still spiked in price, leaving families to improvise their weekly shops. Plus, global conflicts and extreme weather events made certain foods more expensive or increasingly sparse throughout the year.

As the new year approaches, it’s best to be prepared for whatever prices come your way. We all want to save money where we can, after all! We spoke with an agricultural economist to see what 2024 might bring for your favorite foods. Here’s everything you need to know about 2024 grocery prices, and how to best prepare for what the new year has in store.

So many factors go into determining the prices you see in the grocery aisle, and they can be quite difficult to predict. But there are some indicators that experts look to when calculating how much you might spend on everyday essentials down the line. Dr. David P. Anderson, a professor of agricultural economics at Texas A&M University, says that every cost, from production to consumption, impacts prices—think transportation, labor, energy costs, interest rates, and more.

The overall economy impacts food costs as well. Inflation peaked in the United States in June 2022, reaching the highest level in 40 years, and since then, numbers have dropped (slowly, but surely). Despite inflation moderating, many prices are still higher than usual, and spending power isn’t quite back on track. Anderson says that inflation is a “large part” of heightened food prices, making an impact that’s worsened by high interest rates and extreme weather events like droughts.

“The impact of higher interest rates, the overall economy, and the federal reserve’s attempts to reduce inflation will be important for what we see in overall food prices,” says Anderson. “Already we see inflation moderating in many areas. Consumer demand will play a large role in prices. If consumers cut back their purchases, then that leads to lower prices.” ................

https://www.bhg.com/more-expensive-less-expensive-groceries-2024-8415274
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Grocery Prices Are Set to Shift Again in 2024—Here’s What to Expect
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 08:15:36 pm »
The harsh sad truth about inflation, including if it is only a spurt, is that level of buying power is gone forever. 

I have been buying groceries 50 years, and can not give even one example when prices trended down with any substance.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 08:23:25 pm »
When an item that cost $1 in 2020 goes up above $3 in 2022, the fact that the price is now "down to" $2.75 is not exactly reason to celebrate. That's pretty much what's happening.

Oooh, oooh, oooh, inflation is cooling!
Oh, please.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 08:54:41 pm »
Meat prices won't drop because animal feed competes with bio-fuels for corn and soybeans.

Transportation costs, heating costs, and electricity costs may not decline because Biden's Global Climate Change policies are causing underinvestment in more efficient and more affordable American oil, natural gas, and coal.

Plus, electric utlity customers will be compelled to subsidize more expensive and less efficient wind and solar.  Also, electric utility customers will be compelled to pay for the build out of battery storage systems to normalize the irregular generation output of wind and solar.

... and there's no guarantee that any of thise will effect Global Climate Change.  Plus, India and China will use fossil fuels to maintain and expand their competitive cost advanatges over Western companies

Could the current "warming" be the result of 50 years of reducing air pollution - removing particulates and gases that block sunlight?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 09:00:04 pm »

Could the current "warming" be the result of 50 years of reducing air pollution - removing particulates and gases that block sunlight?

Another well kept secret by the enviro-whackos is the fact that reporting NWS stations that were built in the burbs and rural areas in the 1940's and 1950's are now in urban areas, through expansion creep.    Heat island effects of these locales are not beng taken account, and are skewing the data.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 09:09:48 pm »
The harsh sad truth about inflation, including if it is only a spurt, is that level of buying power is gone forever. 

I have been buying groceries 50 years, and can not give even one example when prices trended down with any substance.

It's not only grocery prices that are here to stay, but higher utilities, taxes and insurance. Along with others, it has taken a major chunk out of our retirement planning.  I doubt that the financial gurus saw or anticipated such a huge jump in inflation in such a short period of time.

How are young couples making it? There are only so many hours in the day to work overtime. Those who were fortunate enough to buy a home a couple of years ago when mortgage rates were down should be very thankful.

Then the equation of AI intelligence enters the picture ... how many will still have jobs??

Let's Go Brandon!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.