Author Topic: Are San Diego County graduates ready for life after high school? Here’s what the data shows  (Read 1325 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are San Diego County graduates ready for life after high school? Here’s what the data shows

Some schools may have a high graduation rate but low percentages of students who have shown they are prepared for college or career
BY KRISTEN TAKETA
SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE
DEC. 28, 2023 5:45 AM PT

San Diego County public high schools have been graduating students at some of their highest rates yet since the pandemic, but many of those graduates may not be ready for college or career, according to new state data.

The data, released Dec. 15, shows that 85 percent of seniors at San Diego County’s public high schools — both district and charter — graduated this year. That’s just behind the statewide average of 86 percent.

School districts graduated students at higher rates than charter schools did. The average graduation rate for San Diego County districts was 89 percent, compared with 69 percent for local charters.

Meanwhile 59 percent of the county’s graduates met the course requirements for admission to the University of California or California State University, also known as A-G courses. That rate was 60 percent for local districts and 57 percent for charters.

And fewer than half of students who graduated met state criteria to show they have been prepared for college or career, which is one of the measures that the state uses to give school accountability ratings.

Graduation rates remain higher than they were before the pandemic — in 2019, only 82 percent of county students graduated. That’s in part because California has allowed schools and districts to use the state’s more lenient minimum graduation requirements, rather than districts’ own requirements, due to the pandemic. But graduation rates dipped only slightly this year after that flexibility expired last year.

https://www.delmartimes.net/news/story/2023-12-28/are-san-diego-county-graduates-ready-for-life-after-high-school-heres-what-the-data-shows
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I doubt the results are even as good as they look without some major clipping. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Yes they have been well prepared for life after high school, they have been prepared to be a good democrat dependent on the state to insure proper voting.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Back in the day when my parents were in school, they were taught things like how to balance a checkbook, making a budget, savings and planning for future, etc.

I think this kind of thing went out the window because I never learned how to do the in school but my dad and mom sat down with me before I went to college and taught me all of this. I've never bought anything I couldn't afford, and I always made sure to stay on budget and if I could not afford it I went without.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

Maybe we should take a look at who is teaching in California schools.
Gavin Newsom is lowering the standard on who has access to your kids. Teachers need have no basic skills whatsoever.

https://twitter.com/InformedMama209/status/1745255393771782410
LincolnHillsFrau
@bayareahausfrau
So, you will no longer have to wonder, "how did this teacher get credentialed?" You won't have to wonder, because it is no longer a requirement. Your janitor could be their teacher, not that they couldn't learn a thing or two from a janitor.
2:10 AM · Jan 11, 2024
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org