Author Topic: California Days Away From Changing How Police Pull Drivers Over  (Read 1144 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 California Days Away From Changing How Police Pull Drivers Over
Story by Kaitlin Lewis  •
22h

California law enforcement will now have to tell drivers why they pulled them over before engaging in any questioning related to the traffic stop, thanks to a new state law that's set to take effect on January 1.

The bill, A.B. 2773, was signed by California Governor Gavin Newsom in September 2022 and is intended to prevent "pretextual stops," a situation where an officer stops a vehicle or pedestrian for a minor violation with the intent of searching the individual for signs of higher-level crime indicators. The law applies to traffic and pedestrian stops made by any "peace officer," a term used to describe all law enforcement personnel at the state and local level.

Advocates for the bill argue that the new law will help protect citizens who are disproportionately impacted by minor traffic violations, such as Black Californian drivers. California Assemblymember Chris Holden, who authored the bill, said during an assembly floor analysis last August that the purpose of the law is "to promote equity and accountability in communities across California."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-days-away-from-changing-how-police-pull-drivers-over/ar-AA1maczh?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=12594f36ae1a4a35b31e4f9d1570e245&ei=34
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: California Days Away From Changing How Police Pull Drivers Over
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 05:04:23 pm »
I might be in the minority here, but requiring a cop to disclose his/her reasoning for pulling you over isn't a bad idea. 

My slight Libertarian streak showing there.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 05:11:45 pm »
I might be in the minority here, but requiring a cop to disclose his/her reasoning for pulling you over isn't a bad idea. 

I think it might be more meaningful in some southern states than in California.  If fact, I'm surprised California even allows the police to pull someone over.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 05:16:31 pm »
I think it might be more meaningful in some southern states than in California.  If fact, I'm surprised California even allows the police to pull someone over.

Yep, there was a group of lady cops who used to pull me over and harass me in my college town for no reason. One even once ask me to get out of my car, to be frisked for drugs.   As disgusting as it was, I never complained, and figured they might be helpful in the future....  just in case.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 05:43:39 pm »

My slight Libertarian streak showing there.

I'm good with it.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 06:27:35 pm »
I'm good with it.

Yeah, me too.  Tell people your Probable Cause right up front.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 06:32:17 pm »
Yeah, me too.  Tell people your Probable Cause right up front.
:yowsa: In fairness, the vast majority of police I have had interactions with in North Dakota did.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 06:33:13 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 06:42:46 pm »
:yowsa: In fairness, the vast majority of police I have had interactions with in North Dakota did.

Hey @Smokin Joe --- "vast majority"? Oh really now.  :cool: :police:

The few interactions I've had with police usually started with them asking if I knew why I was being pulled over. Which always seemed like entrapment to me.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 07:16:05 pm »

The few interactions I've had with police usually started with them asking if I knew why I was being pulled over. Which always seemed like entrapment to me.
  @bigheadfred  I always assumed that they knew, so in those instances I would say "No." and turn the question around and ask them.

Note, too, I said "in North Dakota". Other jurisdictions have not always been nearly so forthcoming.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 07:17:27 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 07:36:39 pm »

Normally I get a greeting... and 'How's your Mamma and em' and then the charges. We have a good working relationship. Sometimes they drive me around. Once or twice in the front seat.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 07:39:32 pm »

Yeah, I've had that. And normally I knew why. Except when I kicked that wire up under the dash that kills my tail lights. That one always takes me by surprise.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 07:42:06 pm »

[...] asking if I knew why I was being pulled over.

To be fair, that's a fairly mild form. Usually more like "WTF were you thinking?"

happy77

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2023, 07:56:42 pm »
This is a good thing.
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 09:37:59 pm »
Normally I get a greeting... and 'How's your Mamma and em' and then the charges. We have a good working relationship. Sometimes they drive me around. Once or twice in the front seat.
I've only been given a ride once, in the back seat...I think I was 8 and busted for shooting a bow and arrow in the city parkway :whistle: One of those lessons they failed to give me in elementary school :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2023, 10:28:32 pm »
I've only been given a ride once, in the back seat...I think I was 8 and busted for shooting a bow and arrow in the city parkway :whistle: One of those lessons they failed to give me in elementary school :shrug:

I was a frequent flyer in my yoot. Mostly fighting, but mostly self defense, and they grew to know that. Still had to haul me in, and I spent a few weekends in county, waiting for the judge... It was all pretty agreeable. most of the time.