Author Topic: It looks like California is going from solar leader to solar loser.  (Read 307 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

It looks like California is going from solar leader to solar loser.

A year after regulators at the state Public Utilities Commission voted to gut the successful incentive program that has helped put more than 1.8 million solar systems on homes and businesses, the consequences are becoming distressingly clear.

Preliminary data from the rooftop solar industry shows a steep drop in installations and widespread job losses since April. That’s when the PUC’s changes to the net energy metering program took effect, slashing the compensation new solar customers receive for the excess power they feed into the grid.

The commission sided with utilities, organized labor and consumer advocates who argued that incentives were so generous that solar customers weren't paying their fair share to maintain the power grid, raising electricity rates for lower-income households and renters without solar arrays.

Editorial: Solar installations are plummeting and California regulators are to blame
Opinion by The Times Editorial Board
 •
22h
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: It looks like California is going from solar leader to solar loser.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 11:52:36 am »
  slashing the compensation new solar customers receive for the excess power they feed into the grid.

This wouldn't have anything to do with that $68 billion deficit by any chance?  You know = financial incentives and subsidies! :poohappen:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson