Author Topic: Marine 1st lieutenants will have smoother path to captain promotions  (Read 385 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine 1st lieutenants will have smoother path to captain promotions
By Irene Loewenson
 Dec 27, 05:06 PM

Beginning in fiscal year 2025, all “fully qualified” Marine first lieutenants will secure a promotion to captain. (Lance Cpl. Tyler Raab/Marine Corps)

The Marine Corps is making it easier for first lieutenants to snag a promotion to captain, as part of the service’s efforts to keep Marines from leaving.

Since 2016, first lieutenants have made the jump to captain only after selection boards review their files and select them for the promotion, Capt. Sarah Eason, a Marine Corps manpower spokesperson, said in an email to Marine Corps Times.

But in the coming year, the process is going to get simpler and easier, with all “fully qualified” first lieutenants securing the promotion, according to Eason.

The change, which comes as the Marine Corps is trying to boost retention, is also in part an attempt to trim the administrative and financial costs associated with convening the in-person promotion boards, according to Eason.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/12/27/marine-1st-lieutenants-will-have-smoother-path-to-captain-promotions/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Marine 1st lieutenants will have smoother path to captain promotions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 12:14:02 am »
Affirmative action in action.

Sooo,what is the USMC going to do once this starts,using 2nd Lt's as squad leaders? They are going to  have to do SOMETHING with  them,and it  just doesn't seem likely there will be enough Platoon Leader positions open unless they plan on drafting a hell of  a lot of new Marine Privates.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!