Author Topic: Nikki Haley slammed for not mentioning ‘slavery’ as cause of the Civil War in ‘word salad’ answer du  (Read 6379 times)

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Quote from: article
Democrats and supporters of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis criticized former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley on Wednesday after she refused to name slavery as the primary cause of the Civil War.

"Supporters of Ron" criticized the answer.... If Ron is smart he will keep his trap shut on doing the same.

The answer is "a variety of causes were involved as the cause of the Civil War, and the answer would be only answered by asking someone from that time period because the answers will vary, same as today". Answers will vary from State Rights, Invasion, Slavery and Big Industry wanting to control trade.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online corbe

DeSantis was asked the same question yesterday, His response:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1740443551186801150
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Now that is a true "drop the mic" moment.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Another reason I will never vote for Ron DeSantis! But he's really good at changing the subject rather than answering the question.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Now that is a true "drop the mic" moment.

No. THIS is a true drop the mic moment!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
What is even more stupid is blindly accepting the BS you have been fed about an event that fundamentally changed the character of the USA.

maybe don't make assumptions about what I think on the topic before trying to correct an opinion I never expressed.

And considering some of the BS you will believe on natural born citizenship and taxes, I will stand on my knowledge any day.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
maybe don't make assumptions about what I think on the topic before trying to correct an opinion I never expressed.

And considering some of the BS you will believe on natural born citizenship and taxes, I will stand on my knowledge any day.

What "Knowledge"?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Another reason I will never vote for Ron DeSantis! But he's really good at changing the subject rather than answering the question.

Ohhh....  I guess you are a fan of set up "Gotcha" inquiries by hacks on the campaign trail.

Would you say the same, when Trump is often prodded about his Fauxci support?  And avoids direct answers? Or lies through his teeth?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
"Supporters of Ron" criticized the answer.... If Ron is smart he will keep his trap shut on doing the same.

The answer is "a variety of causes were involved as the cause of the Civil War, and the answer would be only answered by asking someone from that time period because the answers will vary, same as today". Answers will vary from State Rights, Invasion, Slavery and Big Industry wanting to control trade.

:yowsa: That is probably about as well as it could be done in a soundbite @Sighlass

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Ohhh....  I guess you are a fan of set up "Gotcha" inquiries by hacks on the campaign trail.

Would you say the same, when Trump is often prodded about his Fauxci support?  And avoids direct answers? Or lies through his teeth?

I'm a fan of answering questions directly and from what I've seen to date there is very little of that coming from ANY quarter.

Democrats and supporters of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis criticized former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley on Wednesday after she refused to name slavery as the primary cause of the Civil War.

Slavery was not the primary cause! Period. End of sentence.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

The Cause of the Civil War Isn’t a Simple Answer

Of all the questions you ask a presidential candidate, this isn't one of them.

December 28, 2023 by Daniel Greenfield

There was an episode on a TV show (I forget which one) in which an immigrant is being asked to answer what the cause of the civil war was and he launches into a dissertation on the various factors until the examiner cuts him off. “Just answer slavery.”

The official citizenship exam answer key lists “slavery, economic reasons” and “states’ rights” while admitting that there may be other answers, but just use these.

But we’re back to this nonsense with the controversy over Nikki Haley being asked what the cause of the civil war was.

Of all the questions you ask a presidential candidate, this isn’t one of them. I’m no fan of her, but she’s probably right that this was a plant. And her answer was a Kamala-esque word salad when she should have just ignored it and moved on.

<..snip..>

https://www.frontpagemag.com/the-cause-of-the-civil-war-isnt-a-simple-answer/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Always figured that reading the various Declarations of Secession from the states that seceded was a fair way to determine why it happened.  This is from South Carolina's:

[A]n increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery, has led to a disregard of their obligations, and the laws of the General Government have ceased to effect the objects of the Constitution. The States of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, have enacted laws which either nullify the Acts of Congress or render useless any attempt to execute them. In many of these States the fugitive is discharged from service or labor claimed, and in none of them has the State Government complied with the stipulation made in the Constitution. . . .

For twenty-five years this agitation has been steadily increasing, until it has now secured to its aid the power of the common Government. Observing the forms of the Constitution, a sectional party has found within that Article establishing the Executive Department, the means of subverting the Constitution itself. A geographical line has been drawn across the Union, and all the States north of that line have united in the election of a man to the high office of President of the United States, whose opinions and purposes are hostile to slavery. He is to be entrusted with the administration of the common Government, because he has declared that that “Government cannot endure permanently half slave, half free,” and that the public mind must rest in the belief that slavery is in the course of ultimate extinction.  . .

On the 4th day of March next, this party will take possession of the Government. It has announced that the South shall be excluded from the common territory, that the judicial tribunals shall be made sectional, and that a war must be waged against slavery until it shall cease throughout the United States. The guaranties of the Constitution will then no longer exist; the equal rights of the States will be lost. The slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy. . . .

https://constitutioncenter.org/the-constitution/historic-document-library/detail/south-carolina-declaration-of-secession-1860#:~:text=We%2C%20therefore%2C%20the%20People%20of%20South%20Carolina%2C%20by%20our,and%20that%20the%20State%20of
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 03:28:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online LMAO

And this is from Mississippi

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_missec.asp

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

So although it is accurate to say that slavery was not the primary cause of the Civil War, it appears it was the primary cause for the south to secede from the United States
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You could certainly draw a "bigger picture" conclusion based on states rights, which likely was the primary motivation for non-slaveholding southerners to support secession.

But the slaveholders themselves were disproportionately wealthy, powerful, and influential politically, and it was their refusal to accept Lincoln as President - including his position on the non-expansion of slavery into the territories - that led them to push successfully for secession.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 04:32:44 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
But who will collect my tariffs?

Abraham Lincoln (responding to Horace Greely)

(See Morrill Tariff)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 04:53:08 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
But who will collect my tariffs?

Abraham Lincoln (responding to Horace Greely)

(See Morrill Tariff)

I'll take a "List of POTUS who suspended Habeas Corpus" for $1000 Alex. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I'll take a "list of POTUS who tried to have the Chief Justice of SCOTUS arrested and jailed" for $2000 Alex.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline the OlLine Rebel

Always figured that reading the various Declarations of Secession from the states that seceded was a fair way to determine why it happened.  This is from South Carolina's:

https://constitutioncenter.org/the-constitution/historic-document-library/detail/south-carolina-declaration-of-secession-1860#:~:text=We%2C%20therefore%2C%20the%20People%20of%20South%20Carolina%2C%20by%20our,and%20that%20the%20State%20of

First, “secession” is not “war”.

2nd, even better than secession statements was why the “USA” went to war.

Try to find slavery mentioned.

Oh wait, they wanted to ensure Maryland would not surround their federal hides and force them to move (as did the Congress from Philly to York in 1777).  Had enough trouble with Maryland already.  And also not to offend those allowing slaves but not really southern and secessionist.

You can gripe about some southern declarations but you cannot deny why the US wouldn’t let it go.  Didn’t want to lose their other territories and the resources that go with them.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 08:06:54 pm by the OlLine Rebel »
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Hoodat

May 23, 1861 - Virginia secedes from the Union

May 27, 1961 - Union troops advance and capture Newport News.

Virginia wasn't attacked over slavery.  Virginia was attacked because it dared leave the Union.  The most accurate name for the Civil War is  the War of Secession.   Or as the French call it:

La Guerre de Sécession   -  https://www.histoire-pour-tous.fr/dossiers/241-la-guerre-de-secession.html
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Ok so did we solve the Civil War yet?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Ok so did we solve the Civil War yet?

My summation:  "It’s the economy, stupid."

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
What "Knowledge"?
In the words of Jesus, don't cast pearls before swine.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

Don't forget Article IV, Sec 3.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

I almost hate to post this, but: 
Misleading Causes of the American Civil War, Posted on December 30, 2023 by Scott Malensek
at Flopping Aces.

A very interesting article, worth reading.  Thanks for posting.