Author Topic: Nikki Haley slammed for not mentioning ‘slavery’ as cause of the Civil War in ‘word salad’ answer du  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You don't give this kind of answer unless you are deliberately trying to avoid any mention at all of slavery, so the question is...why did she give it?  People can reasonably disagree about how big a factor slavery was in why the Civil War happened, but to not mention it at all in an answer that long is just bizarre.  Nor did she even mention "states rights."  Her answer stands right up there with a Kamala Harris word salad:

Nikki Haley slammed for not mentioning ‘slavery’ as cause of the Civil War in ‘word salad’ answer during town hall

Democrats and supporters of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis criticized former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley on Wednesday after she refused to name slavery as the primary cause of the Civil War.

Haley, 51, made the apparent gaffe during a town hall event in Berlin, NH, after a voter asked the former United Nations ambassador to identify the cause of the deadliest war in American history.

The White House hopeful appeared caught off guard by the question and failed to mention the antebellum South’s “peculiar institution” in her response.

“I think the cause of the Civil War was basically how government was going to run,” Haley said. “The freedoms and what people could and couldn’t do.”

“I think it always comes down to the role of government and what the rights of the people are,” Haley went on. “And I will always stand by the fact that I think government was intended to secure the rights and freedoms of the people.”

“It was never meant to be all things to all people,” the Republican presidential contender continued. “Government doesn’t need to tell you how to live your life. They don’t need to tell you what you can and can’t do. They don’t need to be a part of your life. They need to make sure that you have freedom.

“We need to have capitalism. We need to have economic freedom. We need to make sure that we do all things so that individuals have the liberties so that they can have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to do or be anything they want to be without government getting in the way.”

The individual who posed the question to the candidate responded that it was “astonishing” to hear her answer “without mentioning the word slavery.”

“What do you want me to say about slavery? Next question,” Haley shot back.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/28/news/nikki-haley-slammed-for-not-mentioning-slavery-in-civil-war-word-salad/

She did this because she's the queen of pandering, and she knows there is lingering resentment against her for the flag controversy in South Carolina.  So, she decides to pander to those voters by avoiding any mention of slavery or even (and this is the real tipoff) states' rights.  The problem is that you can't be all things to all people, which is exactly what she is trying to do.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 04:44:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

When in New England, the center of the Abolitionist Movement, the correct answer to "What was the cause of the Civil War?" is "slavery".

Other states/regions may teach American Civil War History differently ... War Among The States ... War of Northern Aggression ... etc.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

////00000////

When in New England, the center of the Abolitionist Movement, the correct answer to "What was the cause of the Civil War?" is "slavery".

Other states/regions may teach American Civil War History differently ... War Among The States ... War of Northern Aggression ... etc.

Same here in Ohio.  But as I said, while reasonable people can disagree about whether slavery was "the" cause, to omit it entirely from an answer that long is just weird.  And on top of that, she didn't even mention states rights at all.  Her answer was just mindless repeating slogans about "freedom' and "individual rights" like she was possessed by the libertarian version of Kamala Harris.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Same here in Ohio.  But as I said, while reasonable people can disagree about whether slavery was "the" cause, to omit it entirely from an answer that long is just weird.  And on top of that, she didn't even mention states rights at all.  Her answer was just mindless repeating slogans about "freedom' and "individual rights" like she was possessed by the libertarian version of Kamala Harris.

Not that I am a student of the era, but here is a southern perspective.  6 of 7 of my WBTS serving ancestors did not own slaves.  They saw it as defense of their homeland, and survivial from a foreign invasion.  People down here, then, and now did not, nor do not want to see a powerful omnipotent Fedzilla overlooking every aspect of their life.  So to my two friends north of the Mason-Dixon.......   I agree....   Slavery was an aborrhant institution, needing killing, and is just one of the issues.   But from our perspective, it was more of a 90/10 States Rights and Defense issue.

And btw...  and back to topic.  I find it odd that a pioneering woke guv like Nikki would shy from the answer considering she was a pioneer in the GOP ranks around tearing down flags and statues.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 05:03:58 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Not that I am a student of the era, but here is a southern perspective.  6 of 7 of my WBTS serving ancestors did not own slaves.  They saw it as defense of their homeland, and survivial from a foreign invasion.  People down here, then, and now did not, nor do not want to see a powerful omnipotent Fedzilla overlooking every aspect of their life.  So to my two friends north of the Mason-Dixon.......   I agree....   Slavery was an aborrhant institution, needing killing, and is just one of the issues.   But from our perspective, it was more of a 90/10 States Rights and Defense issue.

That's kind of my point.  She didn't mention slavery as even "just one of the issues", nor did she mention "states rights" at all...probably because she knew that is considered code for slavery by some and so wanted to avoid it.

The result is the meaningless word salad she gave instead.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Haley is proving herself to be another vapid wet noodle windsock Republican, like of Lindsey Graham and Mitt Romney.  She has no principles.  She's a political chameleon trying to blend in with her changing environments.

Anyone who participated in the Trump administration - Christie, Haley, etc - is a morally compromised individual with a transactional sense of right and wrong.

They were for Trump when they could use him to elevate their own careers and profiles, but sorta kinda maybe think Trump is not the right guy to be the GOP nominee in 2024.  If Trump gets the GOP Nomination, many of these same establishment frauds will be looking for positions in a 2nd Trump admin.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
WTF is asking about the Civil War in a town hall?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
WTF is asking about the Civil War in a town hall?

lol.....  And they gripe we never forget. 

Maybe its the reversed carpet bagger factor.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

In the North, such a question is to test candidates' moral clarity.  Haley failed.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Haley is proving herself to be another vapid wet noodle windsock Republican, like of Lindsey Graham and Mitt Romney.  She has no principles.  She's a political chameleon trying to blend in with her changing environments.

Anyone who participated in the Trump administration - Christie, Haley, etc - is a morally compromised individual with a transactional sense of right and wrong.

They were for Trump when they could use him to elevate their own careers and profiles, but sorta kinda maybe think Trump is not the right guy to be the GOP nominee in 2024.  If Trump gets the GOP Nomination, many of these same establishment frauds will be looking for positions in a 2nd Trump admin.

There were a bunch of people in his Administration that he got rid off, and those people might actually have some morals.  I can absolutely see a good, moral person believing that they could help the country by trying to help Trump be a better President.  The key is whether they compromised their morals to do his bidding.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 05:14:11 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
In the North, such a question is to test candidates' moral clarity.  Haley failed.

Did anyone ask Retard Biden about the Civil War? I'd love to hear his answer if so.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Geez, we've had people in the Executive branch since the 1930's. from the south, and Confederate descendants.

Floors me that it is even remotely relevant in 2024. NH must be a boring state, if that is all they have to talk about.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Geez, we've had people in the Executive branch since the 1930's. from the south, and Confederate descendants.

Floors me that it is even remotely relevant in 2024. NH must be a boring state, if that is all they have to talk about.

It's possible that the questioner was coming at it from a pro-states' rights view, and trying to get her to say that the American people will resist an oppressive federal government.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Did anyone ask Retard Biden about the Civil War? I'd love to hear his answer if so.

He and Corn Pop fought at the battle of Shiloh.  True story. No joke man.
"We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down
So we grabbed an alligator and we fired another round
We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
And when we touched the powder off the gator lost his mind"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Did you know his son Johnny Snortin' was a drummer boy too?  Was really good at keeping the "powder" dry. 

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Did you know his son Johnny Snortin' was a drummer boy too?  Was really good at keeping the "powder" dry.

888high58888
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

:silly: 888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Haley takes flak for blaming Civil War gaffe on ‘plant’
by Miranda Nazzaro - 12/28/23 12:46 PM ET

Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley is facing heat from a slew of political strategists and commentators after deflecting the blame for a recent gaffe about the Civil War.

In the wake of criticism over Haley’s remarks in which she failed to mention slavery as the cause of the Civil War, the former South Carolina governor suggested the voter who asked her the question was a “Democrat Plant.”

“Well, don’t come with an easy question, right? I mean, I think the cause of the Civil War was basically how government was going to run, the freedoms and what people could and couldn’t do,” Haley responded to the New Hampshire voter, who pressed her over the cause of the Civil War.

The GOP hopeful added it “always” comes down to the role of government, telling the crowd, “We need to have capitalism, we need to have economic freedom.”

The voter then said it was “astonishing” that she did not mention slavery while discussing the Civil War.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4380202-haley-takes-flak-for-blaming-civil-war-gaffe-on-plant/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

Slavery may have been a cause for secession.  But secession alone was the cause for war.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Nikki Haley might be the last person I would want to defend, but let's not forget she's a first generation American born Indian.

She iikely doesn't have the family history or interest most of us have on the matter.  Most of our lives were shaped by what happend 1861-1865.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Nikki Haley might be the last person I would want to defend, but let's not forget she's a first generation American born Indian.

She iikely doesn't have the family history or interest most of us have on the matter.  Most of our lives were shaped by what happend 1861-1865.

Eh, I didn't have a single ancestor living in this country until the 1880's, and I'm perfectly aware of the history, background, etc. of the Civil War.  And there is absolutely no way she isn't aware of it too.

She's just a panderer who was caught by surprise.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 08:51:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online libertybele

Her parents 'immigrated' from India to Canada and then to the U.S., so I question if either of her parents were U.S. citizens at the time of her birth. IOW she may be an 'anchor baby'.  If so, all the more reason not to vote for her though she's held political office.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Eh, I didn't have a single ancestor living in this country until the 1880's, and I'm perfectly aware of the history, background, etc. of the Civil War.  And there is absolutely no way she isn't aware of it too.

She's just a panderer who was caught by surprise.

Even a curmudgeon like me somtimes will grant the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

88devil

Vivek Ramaswamy
@VivekGRamaswamy

“What do you want me to say about slavery?”

I think she mistook him for a Super PAC donor.

Video: 

https://twitter.com/zhenryaz/status/1740242867396997599

12:27 AM · Dec 28, 2023

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

And btw...  and back to topic.  I find it odd that a pioneering woke guv like Nikki would shy from the answer considering she was a pioneer in the GOP ranks around tearing down flags and statues.
Sure, slavery was an issue, and a contentious one. But no one got killed until the armies of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts invaded Maryland, and Maryland had not seceded--nor did it have an antebellum vote on such a measure.  That did not stop the citizens of Baltimore from prying up paving stones and throwing them at invading troops who fired on the civilians, killing eight, and four soldiers were dead before the crowd was brought under control. Those four soldiers were the first KIA of the War. At that point, and from Manassas on, the issue was one of Northern invasion and defense of the South (Lee's foray into Union Territory was an offensive result of repeated hostilities brought upon the South), territorially and economically (against the blockades).

Had slavery been the seminal issue, Lincoln would have proclaimed the slaves free at the onset, and the slaves in Maryland would not have been held in servitude until after the war (MD was not "a state in rebellion", as it had not seceded, and thus was not within the criteria of the Emancipation Proclamation. )

Nikki's answer did not even fit the Fable 101 taught as History in schools.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 10:23:45 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis