Author Topic: COMMENTARY: Opening the Replicator Program’s Pandora’s Box  (Read 464 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
COMMENTARY: Opening the Replicator Program’s Pandora’s Box
« on: December 28, 2023, 04:16:17 pm »
COMMENTARY: Opening the Replicator Program’s Pandora’s Box
12/27/2023
By Dr. James Giordano   

China’s ongoing dedication to developing unmanned vehicles for military applications has prompted the United States’ unveiling of the Replicator program — an initiative described by Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks to “master the technology of tomorrow” by creating and employing “attritable, autonomous systems in all domains.”

While Hicks was quick to assure that these technologies will be “in line with our responsible approach to AI and autonomous systems,” the use of such systems can be seen as a Pandora’s box, from which emerge initial perceptions that the use of these technologies may decrease human costs of engagement but will also prompt questions of whether, and to what extent, such systems may affect thresholds and tolerances for their engagement in “drone warfare.”

The use of drones of any sort — non-autonomous, semi-autonomous or autonomous — may reduce national governments’ and societies’ tolerance for conflict and war for several reasons. These include tactical and/or strategic considerations of the battlefield effectiveness and efficiency of such systems in warfare, risks of human casualties incurred by their use and net incentives through which a society’s tolerance for conflict can be seen as a relative calculus of perceived necessity, expected value of the gains from success, losses from failure and the impacts of material and human costs from potential outcomes.

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=post;board=60.0
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: COMMENTARY: Opening the Replicator Program’s Pandora’s Box
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 06:21:37 am »
Warfare reduced to first person shooter games with unlimited 'lives'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis