Author Topic: Report: Despite Billions in Government Investments, Electric Vehicles ‘Piling Up on Dealer Lots’  (Read 2438 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Despite Billions in Government Investments, Electric Vehicles ‘Piling Up on Dealer Lots’

John Binder 27 Dec 2023

Electric Vehicles (EVs) are “piling up on dealer lots” as American consumers continue buying traditional gas-powered cars at faster rates, the Wall Street Journal reports.

According to the Journal, despite major investments from the federal government and automakers into EVs, Americans are not warming to President Joe Biden’s green energy agenda the way the administration and the industry had predicted.

The Journal reports:

As a result, electric cars and trucks are piling up on dealer lots, causing auto companies to reassess their investment plans. It takes a dealership around three weeks longer to sell an EV than a gasoline vehicle, according to data from car-shopping website Edmunds. A year ago, battery-powered models were selling faster than their gasoline counterparts. [Emphasis added]

Aside from a lack of electric charging stations and consumer nervousness over reliability, the cost of EVs remains a prime reason why Americans are choosing gas-powered cars instead.

Figures published in the Journal show that the average EV cost buyers nearly $52,000 last month, while the average gas-powered car cost less than $45,000. Industry experts said they do not expect EVs to get any cheaper until 2025.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2023/12/27/report-despite-billions-government-investments-electric-vehicles-piling-up-dealer-lots/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Industry experts said they do not expect EVs to get any cheaper until 2025.

Wanna bet?   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I can't help but wonder what is happening to the long term capacity of the Li-ion batteries in these EV's when they sit for months without charging.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I can't help but wonder what is happening to the long term capacity of the Li-ion batteries in these EV's when they sit for months without charging.

Ever heard of a liberal or enviro-whacko who properly thought things through?   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
EV aren't selling because they have exhausted the supply of stupid people who rushed out to buy them in an effort to be "Trendy". 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
EV aren't selling because they have exhausted the supply of stupid people who rushed out to buy them in an effort to be "Trendy".
Sorry, I can't buy your reasoning, I just don't believe there is a limit to the number of stupid people in America. I base this belief on decades of observation of those around me.......also the democrats are importing even more stupid people by the hundreds of thousands to supplement the already abundant supply.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the source article:
"Figures published in the Journal show that the average EV cost buyers nearly $52,000 last month, while the average gas-powered car cost less than $45,000"

I reckon if they cut the price on the EV by 50% -- down to $26,000 -- the overwhelming majority of their EV stock would STILL would be sitting there on the lots.

It's not "the price" that folks are payin' attention to here...

Online roamer_1

This can only mean one thing in the long run.... Really cheap batteries for homesteader's solar arrays...  happy77

Online Hoodat

When it comes to picking winners and losers, the federal government demonstrates an uncanny propensity for picking losers every single time.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline cato potatoe

Seems like they could have refined their hybrid models instead of expecting their customers to leap into fully electric vehicles.  Toyota has done a pretty decent job of this.

Online roamer_1

Seems like they could have refined their hybrid models instead of expecting their customers to leap into fully electric vehicles.  Toyota has done a pretty decent job of this.

My sis has a 'Yoda hybrid, and has drove the wheels right off it. Very reliable, and fairly good running. I don't know that the battery does her all that much, because the engine turns on wherever there is load, which is almost all the time except on the valley floor... And the engine is small, undersized in order to fit in the hybrid thing...

So the motor winds up just being 'assist' for an overworked engine...

But like I said... she bought it new, and has beat it like a 2 dollar mule for years.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Ever heard of a liberal or enviro-whacko who properly thought things through?   :silly:

There is no need for them to think anything through as long as the political kickbacks continue unabated. @catfish1957
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This can only mean one thing in the long run.... Really cheap batteries for homesteader's solar arrays...  happy77
on wheels...(And some interesting motors, too)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online LMAO

This is another example of the emotional “reasoning,” and childlike mindset of the progressive left

These are the same people who can’t seem to comprehend that being weak on crime and defunding police in high crime areas increases crime rates

These are the same people who can’t seem to comprehend that making your state hostile for middle-class taxpayers and businesses will cause those same to move to more friendly states

These are the same people who can’t seem to comprehend that if you give financial incentives for people across the border illegally, they will cross

If you ever want a real introduction of how a leftist thinks, find yourself some elementary school-age children and bring up any subject or issue facing this country and ask what they think should be done about it. They will give you the same answer that a leftist will.

It’s cute and harmless when a child thinks this way. But it’s dangerous and full of the law of unintended consequences when people who still have their childlike  mindsets can affect policy

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

This is another example of the emotional “reasoning,” and childlike mindset of the progressive left

These are the same people who can’t seem to comprehend that being weak on crime and defunding police in high crime areas increases crime rates

These are the same people who can’t seem to comprehend that making your state hostile for middle-class taxpayers and businesses will cause those same to move to more friendly states

These are the same people who can’t seem to comprehend that if you give financial incentives for people across the border illegally, they will cross

If you ever want a real introduction of how a leftist thinks, find yourself some elementary school-age children and bring up any subject or issue facing this country and ask what they think should be done about it. They will give you the same answer that a leftist will.

It’s cute and harmless when a child thinks this way. But it’s dangerous and full of the law of unintended consequences when people who still have their childlike  mindsets can affect policy
Just wait until they start to figure out how much stuff is made from oil besides motor fuels.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Just wait until they start to figure out how much stuff is made from oil besides motor fuels.

You mean things like "how do we make our electric cars, windmills, ANYTHING, without oil?"
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Who can afford to buy new cars these days? Even a quality used car is out of each for most people.

And heaven forbid you want something smaller than a full size SUV...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online andy58-in-nh

Hmmmm... let's see:

- High initial investment and financing cost.
- High total cost of ownership.
- Limited range, especially in hot or cold weather
- Limited access to charging stations and increasing projected costs for usage.
- High maintenance and repair costs for complex electrical systems.
- Short effective vehicle life span, with new batteries costing up to 50% of the original purchase price.
- Questionable resale value.

Hard pass.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online catfish1957

Hmmmm... let's see:

- High initial investment and financing cost.
- High total cost of ownership.
- Limited range, especially in hot or cold weather
- Limited access to charging stations and increasing projected costs for usage.
- High maintenance and repair costs for complex electrical systems.
- Short effective vehicle life span, with new batteries costing up to 50% of the original purchase price.
- Questionable resale value.

Hard pass.

Good luck trying to explain logic and common sense to an Enviro-Whacko.    I'm still waiting for the wave of anger in about 3-4 years when all these duped idiots find out they need a replacement battery and how much they cost. 

I hope there is plenty of film on it. It'll make for great comedy.

Online roamer_1

Who can afford to buy new cars these days? Even a quality used car is out of each for most people.

And heaven forbid you want something smaller than a full size SUV...

Give it a few months...

Online catfish1957

Give it a few months...

I'd say scrap value, but just how much metal do they put on these green POS'

Online catfish1957

Show of hands who are and will be willing to come to the aid of a stranded EV?

Not Me!!!  I just hope their AAA subscription is current.

Online roamer_1

Show of hands who are and will be willing to come to the aid of a stranded EV?

Not Me!!!  I just hope their AAA subscription is current.

I kinda have to.... Doesn't matter who or what out here... You stop. folks can die from being stranded.
But to add to your point... An EV owner that has to be rescued miles and miles from a town in 10 below, 3 dog weather is a bigger idiot for it than yourn.

Online catfish1957

I kinda have to.... Doesn't matter who or what out here... You stop. folks can die from being stranded.
But to add to your point... An EV owner that has to be rescued miles and miles from a town in 10 below, 3 dog weather is a bigger idiot for it than yourn.

Unusually cold day here is a High of 45.  Not that a liberal enviro-whacko EV owner could survive that.  :silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

I'd say scrap value, but just how much metal do they put on these green POS'
But Lithium is a metal. Just sayin'...

C S Lewis