Author Topic: Trump ballot ban appealed to US Supreme Court by Colorado Republican Party  (Read 875 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Trump ballot ban appealed to US Supreme Court by Colorado Republican Party

The Colorado Republican Party on Wednesday appealed that state's supreme court decision that found former President Donald Trump is ineligible for the presidency, the potential first step to a showdown at the nation's highest court over the meaning of a 155-year-old constitutional provision that bans from office those who “engaged in insurrection.”

The first impact of the appeal is to extend the stay of the 4-3 ruling from Colorado's highest court, which put its decision on pause until Jan. 4, the day before the state's primary ballots are due at the printer, or until an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court is finished. Trump himself has said he still plans to appeal the ruling to the nation's highest court as well.

The U.S. Supreme Court has never ruled on Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which was added after the Civil War to prevent former Confederates from returning to government. It says that anyone who swore an oath to “support” the constitution and then “engaged in insurrection” against it cannot hold government office.

The Colorado high court ruled that applies to Trump in the wake of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, intended to stop the certification of President Joe Biden's victory in the 2020 presidential election. It was the first time in history that the provision was used to block a presidential contender's campaign.

“The Colorado Supreme Court has removed the leading Republican candidate from the primary and general ballots, fundamentally changing the course of American democracy,” the party's attorneys wrote Wednesday.

They added: “Unless the Colorado Supreme Court’s decision is overturned, any voter will have the power to sue to disqualify any political candidate, in Colorado or in any other jurisdiction that follows its lead. This will not only distort the 2024 presidential election but will also mire courts henceforth in political controversies over nebulous accusations of insurrection.”

The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to take the case, either after the Colorado GOP's appeal or Trump's own appeal. If Trump ends up off the ballot in Colorado, it would have minimal effect on his campaign because he doesn't need the state, which he lost by 13 percentage points in 2020, to win the Electoral College in the presidential election. But it could open the door to courts or election officials striking him from the ballot in other must-win states..................

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ballot-ban-appealed-us-005148828.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Hoodat

Re: Trump ballot ban appealed to US Supreme Court by Colorado Republican Party
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 02:57:23 am »
After a week of waiting for the RNC to do something, the Colorado GOP finally took matters into their own hands.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 06:46:29 pm »
JUST IN: US Supreme Court Officially Asked to Overturn Colorado High Court Decision to Bar Trump From Ballot
by Cristina Laila Dec. 28, 2023 12:40 pm

The Republican Party of Colorado asked the US Supreme Court to overturn the state’s high court’s decision to bar Trump from the 2024 ballot.  ...

The state’s high court stayed their ruling and left room for an appeal. The ruling will go into effect on January 4, 2024.

Trump will also appeal the ruling to the US Supreme Court, according to a statement released by the Trump campaign.  ...
Gateway Pundit
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 06:52:56 pm »
After a week of waiting for the RNC to do something, the Colorado GOP finally took matters into their own hands.

The RNC is totally broke, and the trump campaign is nothing but a "keep Donald out of prison" fund.  This may be the best case scenario.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 06:55:10 pm »

Yeppers, Ronna is right on top of things. She needs to go! She is worthless to conservatism and to the GOP in general.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 11:38:41 pm »
bele tolls:
"Yeppers, Ronna is right on top of things. She needs to go! She is worthless to conservatism and to the GOP in general."

How about puttin' that young rapscallion Vivek into the RNC top job...?
He sure knows how to mouth off...!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 11:48:42 pm »
bele tolls:
"Yeppers, Ronna is right on top of things. She needs to go! She is worthless to conservatism and to the GOP in general."

How about puttin' that young rapscallion Vivek into the RNC top job...?
He sure knows how to mouth off...!

The RNC doesn't need someone who can mouth off, rather someone who can get some things done, one of which is try to ensure election integrity.  Why didn't she do anything when Trump was banned from the ballot in CO?  What has she done since Trump lost the election?  What did she do to help Trump's re-election chances other than count attendees at his rallies and assume he was going to win???