Author Topic: The Chicago Mayor’s Hat Trick of Dreadful Policies  (Read 761 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Chicago Mayor’s Hat Trick of Dreadful Policies
« on: December 27, 2023, 03:36:58 pm »
The Chicago Mayor’s Hat Trick of Dreadful Policies
© AP
When your city elects a mayor whose main job qualification is “organizer for the Chicago Teachers Union,” you get what you paid for, or rather what the powerful CTU paid for. With Mayor Brandon Johnson, you get a special bonus, an unwelcome one. His proposed policies are unworkable, unaffordable, and deeply unpopular in the city that elected him less than a year ago.

Three policies stand out for particular ridicule. Mayor Johnson wants to:

Start city-owned and -operated groceries in some underserved areas. The government that wants to take on these difficult new tasks is already failing at such basic services as fixing potholes and policing dangerous neighborhoods.

Ticket the buses bringing illegal immigrants to Chicago, mostly from Texas. He calls them “rogue buses” because they are not “coordinating” with the city. Giving them a ticket or even impounding the vehicles is his solution. The bus companies’ own solution is to drop off the passengers in the suburbs, which immediately send them to Chicago. Johnson then rages at the Texas governor and never mentions President Biden.

Close down all the selective-enrollment (magnet) schools in Chicago, the only ones where students actually read above grade level. If we judge by the likely outcome, Johnson’s policy is really designed to drive middle-class families with kids out of the city. The teachers union backs the plan, enthusiastically. They must know how good the other schools are since the president of the CTU sends her own child to a private school. Meanwhile, she is working with Gov. JB Pritzker to kill school choice for everyone else.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-chicago-mayor-s-hat-trick-of-dreadful-policies/ar-AA1m5TGa?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ce801bb0bf6444acba10ea5b750f8564&ei=10
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Chicago Mayor’s Hat Trick of Dreadful Policies
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 11:16:26 pm »
Miss me yet...?