Author Topic: Biden signs defense policy bill, extending controversial spying program  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden signs defense policy bill, extending controversial spying program
The final version drops an even more contentious rollback of the Pentagon’s abortion travel policy.

Joe Biden speaks into a microphone.
President Joe Biden had been expected to sign the NDAA, the final version of which rolled back several hardline provisions approved by the GOP-controlled House. | Evan Vucci/AP

By CONNOR O’BRIEN

12/22/2023 04:34 PM EST

President Joe Biden signed an $886 billion defense policy bill on Friday, the White House announced in a statement, marking the 63rd consecutive year the bill has become law.

The measure drops contentious provisions on abortion, but also extends controversial federal spying powers, both outcomes that saw resistance among Republicans on Capitol Hill.

The National Defense Authorization Act, which outlines Pentagon policy and military budget priorities each year, passed the Senate and House with bipartisan support last week.

The White House declared its support for the final legislation after House and Senate negotiators agreed to drop the most objectionable provisions for Biden and Democrats — including a proposal to roll back the Pentagon’s abortion travel policy pushed by House Republicans.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/22/biden-defense-bill-spying-program-00133124
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson