Author Topic: Federal lawsuit challenges ban on one of the most American things ever  (Read 645 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WND By Katelynn Richardson Daily Caller News Foundation 12/24/2023

'Beyond all of the powers of Congress to enact under the Constitution'

The federal ban on at-home distilling — a hold over from the Prohibition Era — violates the U.S. Constitution, a new lawsuit argues.

The Hobby Distillers Association, an organization with over 1,300 members represented by the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), filed a federal lawsuit this month against the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TBB) and Department of Justice (DOJ) over the government’s ban on at-home distilling. The ban is not just “bad policy,” CEI’s General Counsel Dan Greenberg told the Daily Caller News Foundation, it’s also “inconsistent with a proper view of the limited government constraints of the Constitution.”

“The Constitution created a Federal Government of limited and enumerated powers,” the lawsuit states. “The at-home distilling ban is beyond all of the powers of Congress to enact under the Constitution.”

President Jimmy Carter signed legislation legalizing the practice of homebrewing federally in 1978, though home distilling remained illegal, according to the Smithsonian.

The lawsuit argues that the ban does not fall under Congress’ authority to regulate interstate commerce, as it operates locally, or the federal government’s taxing power, as it “raises no revenue.”

More: https://www.wnd.com/2023/12/federal-lawsuit-challenges-ban-one-american-things-ever/

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Federal lawsuit challenges ban on one of the most American things ever
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 02:22:40 pm »
Home distilling can make you blind for one thing...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 04:03:33 pm »
It's an interesting legal argument that is probably correct. And this Supreme Court may even be sympathetic to it.

Under the Constitution, home distilling for personal consumption is an activity over which the feds should have no jurisdiction. If you want to regulate it, it should be at the state level.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 04:04:44 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 08:44:24 pm »

Not if you throw away the "Heads".

https://distillationsupplies.com/how-do-i-separate-the-heads-foreshot-hearts-middle-cut-and-tails-feint/

What is Moonshine Blindness?

The phrase “moonshine blindness” refers to blindness occurring after people drink too much methanol. When people made their moonshine during the Prohibition era, they either didn’t know or didn’t care that methanol toxicity could lead to blindness.

So, moonshine blindness has much less to do with moonshine and more to do with the distillation process. As you can imagine, 1920s bootleggers had much less sophisticated distillation setups than today’s professional moonshine distillers.

What is Methanol Toxicity?

The body can process small amounts of methanol. However, getting too much methanol can cause problems. This is what’s known as methanol toxicity. It can lead to blindness or even death.

Methanol is a naturally occurring chemical that’s found in a lot of fruits and vegetables. It is also a distillation byproduct. Beer and wine have small amounts of methanol. The low concentration of methanol isn’t concerning for home brewers.

Spirits, like moonshine, also have methanol but at higher concentrations. So, home distillers need to be mindful of dumping out the first 50 mL per 5 gallons of wash. Professional distillation processes automatically remove methanol from each batch.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 09:16:07 pm »
Damn revenuers.  They better stay away from Copperhead Road.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 09:20:17 pm »

So can something else.  But I don't see the federal government trying to ban that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 10:37:40 pm »
So can something else.  But I don't see the federal government trying to ban that.

Blind>  Hmmmm, I thought it encouraged hair growth. If Bosley could make that translate from han to the other head.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 10:52:00 pm »
Blind>  Hmmmm, I thought it encouraged hair growth. If Bosley could make that translate from han to the other head.
Can't say about hair growth, but ethanol sure helped me sing and dance and woo the ladies...not to mention made me a bulletproof race car driver. :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 11:28:34 pm »
Can't say about hair growth, but ethanol sure helped me sing and dance and woo the ladies...not to mention made me a bulletproof race car driver. :silly:

I was leaning more to Rosie wearing my ring, not so much about burning rubber!