Author Topic: Texas Attorney General Announces $700 Million Settlement with Google for Anticompetitive Practices  (Read 832 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by  Sydnie Henry December 23, 2023

Attorneys general from all 50 states as well as the District of Columbia, and the territories of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands secured the settlement.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton announced a $700 million settlement with Google over anticompetitive practices.

According to the settlement, Google must pay $630 million in restitution—minus costs and fees—to consumers who made purchases on the Google Play Store between August 2016 and September 2023 and were harmed by Google’s anticompetitive practices.

-----

The settlement includes the following statement:

Google disputes the claims alleged in the Actions and believes it has strong defenses to these claims. The Settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing, fault, liability, or damage of any kind.

According to Paxton’s office, “The coalition of attorneys general sued Google in 2021 for unlawfully monopolizing the market of Android app distribution and in-app payment processing. Specifically, Google signed anticompetitive contracts to prevent other app stores from being preloaded on Android devices, paid key app developers not to launch products on rival app stores, and created technological barriers to deter consumers from directly downloading apps to their devices.”

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-attorney-general-announces-700-million-settlement-with-google-for-anticompetitive-practices/

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I hated getting electronics (like security cameras) and not being able to download the apps to operate them without having to get an Google account (Gmail).... I want nothing to do with Google... I now have to borrow my brother's email to get damn apps for stuff I bought that has nothing to do with Google.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....