Author Topic: US Army to trim Black Hawk helicopter fleet  (Read 218 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Army to trim Black Hawk helicopter fleet
« on: December 23, 2023, 05:42:46 pm »
US Army to trim Black Hawk helicopter fleet
By Jen Judson
 Wednesday, Dec 20

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army is readying to trim its UH-60 Black Hawk utility helicopter fleet by nearly 8% as it prepares to field a replacement, Maj. Gen. Mac McCurry, the Army’s Aviation Center of Excellence commander, told Defense News in a recent interview.

The service plans to cut roughly 157 Black Hawks, or 7.5% of its total utility fleet, from its active-duty component. McCurry said the move is intended to help the Army optimize its current fleet while making room in the budget for the Black Hawk’s replacement, the Future Long-Range Assault Aircraft, or FLRAA, that will begin fielding in the early 2030s.

A year ago, the Army chose Textron-Bell’s V-280 Valor tiltrotor aircraft to replace the 40-year-old Sikorsky-manufactured UH-60. The Army also has plans to replace the Boeing-made AH-64 Apache attack helicopter with the Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft. Two companies are building competitive demonstrator aircraft.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2023/12/20/us-army-to-trim-black-hawk-helicopter-fleet/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson