Author Topic: One of Chicago’s longest-serving Democratic lawmakers convicted of racketeering, bribery and attempt  (Read 1595 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
One of Chicago’s longest-serving Democratic lawmakers convicted of racketeering, bribery and attempted extortion
By Social Links forVictor Nava
Published Dec. 21, 2023, 9:20 p.m. ET

Former Chicago Alderman Ed Burke, one of the most powerful and longest-serving politicians in the Windy City, was found guilty Thursday of racketeering, bribery and attempted extortion after a six-week-long federal corruption trial.

The 79-year-old Democrat was convicted on 13 of the 14 charges leveled against him in a 2019 federal indictment accusing the veteran Chicago City Council member of using his position to steer business from private developers to his law firm.

Prosecutors also alleged that Burke threatened to block a measure raising admission fees at Chicago’s famed Field Museum over its failure to grant an internship to the daughter of a former alderman, whom he had recommended.

Burke’s shakedown scheme targeted the developer working on a $600 million renovation of Chicago’s Old Post Office, a Burger King in the former alderman’s 14th Ward and Midwest liquor store chain Binny’s Beverage Depot.

Ed Burke
Burke, 79, faces a maximum of 110 years in prison.
AP

https://nypost.com/2023/12/21/news/chicago-alderman-ed-burke-convicted-of-racketeering-bribery/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 05:25:51 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Burke, 79, faces a maximum of 110 years in prison.

I'll be surprised if he gets 110 days! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
These guys look like amateur hour given what's going on today. While the graft, racketeering, bribery and such definitely deserves jail time, at least it was done in the context of trying to build and run things v. the anarchy, nihilism and destruction of today's woke Rats.
The Republic is lost.

Offline The_Reader_David

Corrupt Democrats in Chicago city government?  Say it ain't so!  happy77!
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Corrupt Democrats in Chicago city government?  Say it ain't so!  happy77!

It does appear to be a new phenomenon, doesn't it? 000hehehehe
Thomas Jefferson