Author Topic: Army Triples 155m Artillery Production, Produces "Course Correcting" Rounds  (Read 201 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army Triples 155m Artillery Production, Produces "Course Correcting" Rounds
Artillery is not only here to stay but massively breaking through with new applications, lethality and technological sophistication.
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONUPDATED:DEC 13, 2023ORIGINAL:DEC 12, 2023
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

High-altitude drone attacks, AI-enabled targeting, long-range stand-off precision weaponry and the growing promise of EW and cyber weapons may lead some to suspect traditional arms like artillery might be slowly disappearing or on a path to obsolescence.

Interestingly, the opposite is true. Artillery is not only here to stay but massively breaking through with new applications, lethality and technological sophistication. What may have begun hundreds of years ago with cannon fire and been used as an “area” attack weapon decades ago … is now a completely different weapon with precision-guidance, longer-range, course correcting technology and improved targeting. Artillery is here .. and yet it is different in some respects. However, part of this does involve a paradox, as imprecise or dumb rounds capable of bombarding or overwhelming an enemy with 155m artillery is still a useful tactical option in some cases. Certainly the current stand-off in Ukraine has called attention to the enduring value of artillery, and while Combined Arms Maneuver is evolving in concept and application due to AI and other newer technologies to newer forms, traditional fires remains extremely relevant if not critical.

Video Intv. with former Maj. Gen. Rafferty, Long-Range Precision Fires, Army Futures Command on 155 Artillery Modernization ... from several years ago

These variables are likely a major reason why the US Army has been massively revving up 155m artillery production and expanding the capacity of the US industrial base to accommodate increased demand.

https://warriormaven.com/land/army-triples-155m-artillery-production-produce-course-correcting-rounds
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
  new applications, lethality and technological sophistication.

They need to remember the people firing them aren't rocket scientists. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson