Author Topic: Into the Cold: Special Operations in the Arctic  (Read 142 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Into the Cold: Special Operations in the Arctic
« on: December 21, 2023, 02:52:08 pm »
Into the Cold: Special Operations in the Arctic
by Joshua C. Huminski and Ethan Brown
December 20, 2023

Strategic competition has superseded the Global War on Terrorism as the central organizing principle for America’s military. Conflict has returned to the European continent with Russia’s expanded invasion of Ukraine.  The accession of Finland to NATO, and hopefully Sweden soon, the Arctic environment has taken on new importance in strategic calculus. As the defence enterprise writ large shifts to this new environment, so must Special Operations Forces (SOF).

Here, the unavoidable truth is that SOF, American and allied, will not have a primary role in the arctic theatre. These forces must return to a more traditional supporting role as ‘force multipliers,’ ending the primacy they enjoyed in the War on Terror as the supported entity. This means rethinking SOF missions,  a re-orientation toward maritime and littoral operations and away from counterinsurgency and counterterrorism.

Russia and China are placing increased emphasis on the polar regions in their strategic calculus and future planning. Russia, prior to its expanded invasion of Ukraine, undertook demonstrative military exercises in the Arctic, and was building up its forces in the High North. In its 2018 arctic policy, China declared itself a ‘near-arctic state’, seeking to assert its regional interests. While much of this activity from Moscow and Russia is predicated on securing economic and commercial interests, military interests and strategic competition-related power projection are clearly not far behind.

https://wavellroom.com/2023/12/20/into-the-cold-special-operations-in-the-arctic/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson