Author Topic: Origins of English Christmas traditions  (Read 196 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Origins of English Christmas traditions
« on: December 20, 2023, 05:02:21 pm »

Date:

December 4, 2023

Origins of English Christmas traditions

Christmas embodies a tapestry of ritual traditions and customs shared by many countries and cultures. Some hearken back to ancient times, while others represent more recent innovations.
Many English customs, such as the Ashen Faggot, Smoking Bishops, and the Shoe the Mare have faded into history, yet several traditions (some shared) persist and endure into the present day.

The Christmas Cracker

Christmas crackers are festive table decorations that are traditionally pulled during Christmas dinner and parties to reveal a gift, a joke, and a paper hat. Christmas crackers are found on tables across the United Kingdom, Ireland, and countries such as Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.

The tradition of Christmas crackers is a Victorian invention pioneered by Tom Smith, a confectioner and baker from London. Smith drew inspiration from the French ‘bon bon’ that he sold in his Clerkenwell shop. At the time, the majority of ‘bon bons’ were still sold at Christmas and he began to think up ways to capitalise on this short but very profitable season.

To enhance the experience, Smith incorporated a “crackling” feature in the packaging, inspired by the sound of a burning log. His innovation involved employing two slender strips of paper, layered together with silver fulminate on one side and an abrasive surface on the other. When these strips were pulled, friction ensued, resulting in a small explosion

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2023/12/origins-of-english-christmas-traditions/149810
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson