Author Topic: High-tech trench warfare: 5 hard-won lessons-learned for the US from Ukraine  (Read 291 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
High-tech trench warfare: 5 hard-won lessons-learned for the US from Ukraine
From expendable drones, to ad hoc battle networks, to hacker “armies” of volunteers, the war in Ukraine has shown the big-spending US military new ways to fight in the Information Age.
By   SYDNEY J. FREEDBERG JR.
on December 19, 2023 at 12:04 PM

WASHINGTON – What high-tech weapons really work? What tactics make the difference between victory and death? There’s no test like the test of battle, and the US military has been watching the war in Ukraine with a keen and anxious eye. It’s another question whether the Pentagon bureaucracy is learning the right lessons about cheap drones, real-time intelligence-sharing and the weaponization of the Internet.

The dramatic defeats and victories of 2022 have settled in 2023 into a slow-motion meatgrinder, a conflict where cutting-edge technology combines with brutal battles of attrition over minefields and trench lines. Like the Malayan Emergency before Vietnam, the Spanish Civil War before World War II or the Russo-Japanese War before World War I, Putin’s bloody debacle in Ukraine is full of warnings for the next big conflict we all hope won’t ever come. But if it does come, the US had better have heeded at least these five lessons:

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/12/high-tech-trench-warfare-5-hard-won-lessons-learned-for-the-us-from-ukraine/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson