Author Topic: The Faux Nuclear Arms Race that Isn’t  (Read 154 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Faux Nuclear Arms Race that Isn’t
« on: December 20, 2023, 03:05:26 pm »
The Faux Nuclear Arms Race that Isn’t
Adam Lowther & Curtis McGiffin
1 day ago

The Washington Post editorial board’s November opinion, “A new nuclear arms race is here: How to slow it down,” may receive the cheers of the Beltway’s many nuclear disarmament organizations, but the assertion is both factually inaccurate and a misrepresentation of what is actually happening in the world. It would be a disservice to leave the article unchallenged.

The article’s opening line sets the articles tone, “The world is entering a dangerous nuclear arms race unlike anything since the first atomic bomb, but it does not have to end in catastrophe.” The problem with this assertion is twofold.

First, the one example of nuclear arms racing we saw, which took place between the United States and Soviet Union during the Cold War, was likely responsible for the fact that the two great power never fought World War III. Rather than sparking conflict, the arms race deterred it.

https://globalsecurityreview.com/the-faux-nuclear-arms-race-that-isnt/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson