Author Topic: The Army wants smaller command posts. But first it needs great software  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Army wants smaller command posts. But first it needs great software

What’s missing is the ability to rapidly configure existing gear and networks to a given mission and environment.
LAUREN C. WILLIAMS | DECEMBER 19, 2023 02:21 PM ET
ARMY COMMUNICATIONS

SAVANNAH, Georgia—If the war in Ukraine has taught the U.S. Army anything, it’s that command posts are too big and draw too much attention.

“If you watch the news for lessons learned from all of the operations we're assigned to, we can't continue to have this huge command post and be survivable. The risk to our formations is too great,” Brig. Gen. Marne Sutten, deputy chief of staff, G6, for U.S. Army Forces Command, said during a panel at the Army’s Technical Exchange Meeting 11. There are “still concerns in FORSCOM that we're not giving commanders the flexibility that they need—they're still tethered to large amounts of power...And so, commanders want a command post that they can utilize, at the time of their choosing, to give orders.”

Commanders have responded by using available equipment to create mobile command posts that “pop up” and use different data platforms to improve flexibility, Sutten said. Leaders are also rethinking how many command posts they actually need.

https://www.defenseone.com/defense-systems/2023/12/army-wants-smaller-command-posts-first-it-needs-great-software/392878/?oref=d1-homepage-top-story
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Army wants smaller command posts. But first it needs great software
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 03:03:03 pm »
Is this because they don't have adequate "person" power to person what they now use? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson