Author Topic: Philly's progressive prosecutor, facing impeachment trial, has authority on transit crimes diverted  (Read 195 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Philly's progressive prosecutor, facing impeachment trial, has authority on transit crimes diverted
Story by By BROOKE SCHULTZ, Associated Press/Report for America  •
17h

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A new law taking aim at Philadelphia’s progressive prosecutor creates a new position that diverts authority from the twice-elected district attorney, with Republican lawmakers arguing the legislation is necessary to prosecute crimes they say aren’t pursued. It's the latest example of progressive prosecutors across the country facing political crosswinds.

The measure, which was signed into law by Democratic Gov. Josh Shapiro last week as part of a flurry of bills wrapping up a months-overdue budget, creates a new special prosecutor role that has the authority to investigate and prosecute crimes that occur on the city’s public transit system, the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, known as SEPTA.

There were a tidal wave of progressive prosecutor victories several years ago, campaigning on policies that typically seek diversion to mental health treatment or drug abuse treatment for low-level crimes, efforts to hold police more accountable, and proactively try to free inmates who were wrongfully convicted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/philly-s-progressive-prosecutor-facing-impeachment-trial-has-authority-on-transit-crimes-diverted/ar-AA1lKLr4?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=547a0d226ba045d6a6c05a5e99c7adb3&ei=33
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson