Author Topic: Why it matters that a US Marine officer just earned the Royal Marines beret  (Read 169 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why it matters that a US Marine officer just earned the Royal Marines beret
by Tom Rogan, National Security Writer & Online Editor
 December 18, 2023 04:23 PM

Completing the arduous 13-week Royal Marines Commando selection course, U.S. Marine Capt. Joseph Brown has earned both the top student award and the Commando Medal. The top student is selected by the training cadre, and the medal awardee is selected by their classmates as exemplifying the Royal Marines Commando values.

While Brown retains his oath of allegiance to the U.S. Constitution and thus won't actually become a serving Royal Marine, his performance does him great credit. The Royal Marines are renowned as an exceptionally well-trained force. Approaching 50% of recruits do not complete the commando course. Far smaller than the 180,000-strong U.S. Marines, the Royal Marines have a total strength of around 6,000 personnel. Brown's example is just one element of the cooperation between these two marine service branches. Where the U.S. Marines provides heavy combined arms amphibious maneuver forces, the Royal Marines center on providing light infantry amphibious raiding forces. The Royal Marines's mission is to seize beachheads, attack maritime infrastructure, and provide a highly mobile advance force. This underlines the Royal Marines's focus on infantry movement over difficult terrain. The respective mission sets for a U.S. Marine officer and a Royal Marine officer are thus similar but different in important ways.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/why-it-matters-that-a-us-marine-officer-just-earned-the-royal-marines-beret#google_vignette
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson