Author Topic: 5 Indo-Pacific stories: China’s neighbors clasp hands while AUKUS tumbles along  (Read 177 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
5 Indo-Pacific stories: China’s neighbors clasp hands while AUKUS tumbles along
The biggest strategic shift in the Indo-Pacific was clearly the combination of China's economy faltering at the same time as turmoil roiled the top echelons of the Chinese Communist Party and its government.
By   COLIN CLARK
on December 18, 2023 at 3:35 PM

SYDNEY — Two big events dominated the year in this region far from the American homeland: the stumbling of the Chinese economic and military juggernaut; and China’s neighbors deciding to cooperate much more closely on military matters because of China’s aggressive and often dangerous actions.

The AUKUS announcement that Australia would buy at least three American Virginia-class nuclear-powered subs and build a fleet of its own with a common design shared with the United Kingdom was the starkest manifestation of the depth of strategic commitment by an American ally in the face of Chinese aggression.

But other Chinese neighbors made striking commitments either with the United States, with each other or all three. Japan’s rise from a purely defensive military to one designed to project power to deter China, in part by doubling its defense budget, was the most remarkable.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/12/5-indo-pacific-stories-chinas-neighbors-clasp-hands-while-aukus-tumbles-along/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson