Author Topic: NY Times Targets Pro-Trump Memes, Equates Them with Deepfakes and Advocates for Regulation Meme regu  (Read 1193 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Issue: December 17, 2023
NY Times Targets Pro-Trump Memes, Equates Them with Deepfakes and Advocates for Regulation
Meme regulation.

By Didi Rankovic
Posted 1:40 pm

It’s that time of the US election cycle again: what were formerly known as “newspapers of record” attempting to, for political reasons, promote odd ideas like regulating jokes.

It’s the New York Times this time, looking like it’s terrified that Donald Trump might be successful in his new presidential bid, and so going guns blazing after what it calls his “troll army.”

And “troll” here means – meme creators. As for the memes themselves, the NYT either pretends not to or doesn’t get the joke – namely, that they are jokes, and basically treats them as sinister tools for peddling misinformation and deepfakes.

To add insult to the paper’s injury, the memes not only support the Trump campaign, but Trump also enjoys them, and takes time to communicate with the meme creators.

https://reclaimthenet.org/ny-times-targets-pro-trump-memes-equates-them-with-deepfakes-and-advocates-for-regulation
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Regulate Memes?   :silly:

Cue the Babylon Bee......

Dept of Meme Enforcement......   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

Regulate Memes?   :silly:

Cue the Babylon Bee......

Dept of Meme Enforcement......

I thought this was a Babylon Bee article when I first saw the tile

Somebody needs to send this to the New York Times. It’s the 1st amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I thought this was a Babylon Bee article when I first saw the tile

Somebody needs to send this to the New York Times. It’s the 1st amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

These asswipes don't realize that it is memes that got us through a Pandemic and 3 years of Pedo Joe.

Offline LMAO

I don’t know who the New York Times writer who wrote that article is, but my hunch tells me it’s somebody younger

A lot of younger people today have been “educated” in environments were there was no debate. They grew up believing if an election doesn’t go your way, you get to have an outburst and have a room to yourself with Play-Doh and puppies, and cancel final exams. If someone comes to campus, who’s got a different viewpoint than you to speak, you work to silence them.

They grew up an environment of hate speech codes that were never really defined beyond “speech that I don’t like”

The end result is that Bella Thorne(who I have never heard of until Bill Maher), and writers like this New York Times writer
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 07:42:42 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The idea that the government has any business regulating memes is wildly off, though I do think some protection against actual deep fakes is a bit different.

But I disagree with the "just a harmless joke that is supposed to be funny" tag being applied blanketly to everything that Trump army says.  Things like the insinuation that DeSantis has gay lovers is just trash.  And if Trump chooses to associate himself or as campaign with people who do that, then Trump himself is trash too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
What a misrepresentation of the story.

The Times article was specifically about an abusive cabal of "meme creators" working directly for the Donald Trump campaign, the Dilley Meme Team, which includes our own @Right_in_Virginia , BTW. They have used deepfakes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Times article was specifically about an abusive cabal of "meme creators"

Define "abuse" @jmyrlefuller

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

The Times article was specifically about an abusive cabal of "meme creators" working directly for the Donald Trump campaign, the Dilley Meme Team, which includes our own @Right_in_Virginia , BTW. They have used deepfakes.

Deepfakes of real people should be actionable civilly unless there is a clear disclaimer.  Otherwise, it's basically a license to commit libel.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:52:08 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Define "abuse" @jmyrlefuller
Oh, IDK, the deepfakes slandering DeSantis's wife, his shoes, his height, etc... you know. All those highbrow, substantive criticisms so relevant to his record.

Offline libertybele

I didn't realize that @Right_in_Virginia works directly for the Trump campaign; the Dilley Meme Team.  If true, that would explain a lot.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I didn't realize that @Right_in_Virginia works directly for the Trump campaign; the Dilley Meme Team.  If true, that would explain a lot.

As you know, I have addressed this lie numerous times @libertybele   Stop trying to be an insulting shitkicker.  It's especially unbecoming from a self-proclaimed "Christan conservative" grandmother.

Offline libertybele

As you know, I have addressed this lie numerous times @libertybele   Stop trying to be an insulting shitkicker.  It's especially unbecoming from a self-proclaimed "Christan conservative" grandmother.

Are you kidding me right now @Right_in_Virginia ?? I don't know who the hell you think you are to be so darn judgemental, but I was being serious.  I had to flippin' 'google' dilly meme the other day as it was the first I had heard of it. 

I wasn't trying to insult you and quite frankly I am absolutely sick of the drama that you create with your innuendos and taunts and yet you wonder why people react to you in here the way that they do. I've tried to be amicable, friendly, peaceful and even supportive when I thought you were right and you just keep slinging mud at me.

BTW,  I do consider myself a Christian and a conservative. Go ahead RIV, sling some more mud. Obviously it makes you feel better.   happy77
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:23:40 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I wasn't trying to insult you and quite frankly I am absolutely sick of the drama that you create with your innuendos and taunts and yet you wonder why people react to you in here the way that they do.

This is a shitkicking insult @libertybele ----

You know it's not true, but couldn't resist the need to belittle and lie about me. 

If you're really "sick of the drama", look in the mirror to find the source and fix it.  ☮️

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

WTH is wrong with you?   **nononono*
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

This is a shitkicking insult @libertybele ----

You know it's not true, but couldn't resist the need to belittle and lie about me. 

If you're really "sick of the drama", look in the mirror to find the source and fix it.  ☮️

YOU are an insult @Right_in_Virginia  :seeya:

Offline DCPatriot

Are you kidding me right now @Right_in_Virginia ?? I don't know who the hell you think you are to be so darn judgemental, but I was being serious.  I had to flippin' 'google' dilly meme the other day as it was the first I had heard of it. 

I wasn't trying to insult you and quite frankly I am absolutely sick of the drama that you create with your innuendos and taunts and yet you wonder why people react to you in here the way that they do. I've tried to be amicable, friendly, peaceful and even supportive when I thought you were right and you just keep slinging mud at me.

BTW,  I do consider myself a Christian and a conservative. Go ahead RIV, sling some more mud. Obviously it makes you feel better.   happy77

@libertybele

No...

There's no other way to interpret your post suggesting RIV works for the Trump campaign and/or Dilley Meme Team.

And we've come to blows over it already, so why would you even go there?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

WTH is wrong with you?   **nononono*

Absolutely nothing ..... I'm not the one that brought up the dilly meme article -- I questioned the comment.

Far be it from me to question anything anymore about @Right_in_Virginia

Offline libertybele

@libertybele

No...

There's no other way to interpret your post suggesting RIV works for the Trump campaign and/or Dilley Meme Team.

And we've come to blows over it already, so why would you even go there?

We've come to blows over this???? Youv'e got the wrong person bubba. I haven't heard of the flippin' dilly meme until the other day.

Good Grief.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
then why do you take your orders directly from Dilley? Why do his team's smears appear regularly on this forum under your name?

The same team to whom Don Jr. is on record giving orders?

You may not be on the Trump payroll but your work for Dilley is undeniable.

Offline DCPatriot

We've come to blows over this???? Youv'e got the wrong person bubba. I haven't heard of the flippin' dilly meme until the other day.

Good Grief.

That's NOT what we're talking about.

RIV has nothing to do with the Trump campaign or Dilley Meme Team.

She was accused of that by other posters on 'your' team...and "the house" set their stupid asses straight.

THAT'S what we're talking about.

Offline DCPatriot

then why do you take your orders directly from Dilley? Why do his team's smears appear regularly on this forum under your name?

The same team to whom Don Jr. is on record giving orders?

You may not be on the Trump payroll but your work for Dilley is undeniable.

No wonder you can't get laid. 

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

No wonder you can't get laid. 

How Trumpian AND Uncouth.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.