Author Topic: It seems like end of road for iconic American car as Chevy Camaro production stops  (Read 760 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   Dec. 15, 2023 / 5:59 PM
It seems like end of road for iconic American car as Chevy Camaro production stops
By Patrick Hilsman

Dec. 15 (UPI) -- According to multiple industry sources and trade reports, General Motors has stopped production of its Chevrolet Camaro this week.

GM Authority, citing an unnamed source, reported that Dec. 14 was the last day of production. Road and Track reports that a GM representative confirmed the end of production.

The earliest version of the Camaro was produced in 1966, with multiple generations following. Camaros are known as "pony" cars, which are sporty commercial models.

The current sixth generation of Camaros was introduced in 2016.

more
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2023/12/15/general-motors-ends-chevrolet-camaro-production/1271702667476/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Watch for future decline of support for any vehicle with any level of horsepower. 

Envirwhackos, and such.   Including our trucks
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Watch for future decline of support for any vehicle with any level of horsepower. 

Envirwhackos, and such.   Including our trucks
While I thought the redesign of the Camaro was good, there just really isn't anywhere at least in California where you can use all that horsepower and most certainly the vast majority of people that buy them haven't a clue as to how to drive them and end up wrecking them. Of course idiots wrecking performance vehicles is nothing new. Of course this isn't the first time Camaros went out of production, I'm sure they'll bring it back, maybe in a four door 'family friendly' version or the all new Camaro mini van :silly:

Online roamer_1

While I thought the redesign of the Camaro was good, there just really isn't anywhere at least in California where you can use all that horsepower and most certainly the vast majority of people that buy them haven't a clue as to how to drive them and end up wrecking them. Of course idiots wrecking performance vehicles is nothing new. Of course this isn't the first time Camaros went out of production, I'm sure they'll bring it back, maybe in a four door 'family friendly' version or the all new Camaro mini van :silly:

I ain't a camaro guy (I like Chevelle). But the whole idea is YOUNG men souping up a monster ground-pounder - obtaining the knowledge and scrounging the parts to put together an awesome, powerful ride.

Your ride is a direct reflection of your mechanical prowess, and a direct reflection of your acceptance within the hot-rodders too, because you ain't gonna find the parts and knowledge without them. Same thing in the big truck crowd. Same thing with Harleys.

But a factory hot-rod, all together and already finished (just like all the rest) is for OLD men, reliving glory days, and for POSERS that don't have the mechanical balls to grow their own... Nobody in their right mind would pay for that car.

Jussayin.

Online Hoodat

The only Camaro I ever liked was the '69 with the 307 (or the extremely rare Z28 with the 305).  For everything else, it's MOPAR.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

The only Camaro I ever liked was the '69 with the 307 (or the extremely rare Z28 with the 305).  For everything else, it's MOPAR.

Mopars tend to be tuna boats. Too much tin. Too much weight. But I would drive a '70s Hemi Cuda. I like the Seibrings better than the chargers. Given a choice, Seibring, but I'd have to bring it up to my standard.

In reality, my runabout is a Dodge Caravan.  happy77

And trucks. If I had a new-ish) one, anything over the 90's, it'd likely be a dodge diesel. That's saying something. I been a Bowtie boy all my life. I have flipped many cars of every kind, but my truck, the one I OWN, has always been a Chevy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This comes as a surprise to me. They are still selling like hot cakes pretty much everywhere I go.

Same with the Mopar and the Ford "mini-muscle cars".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I ain't a camaro guy (I like Chevelle). But the whole idea is YOUNG men souping up a monster ground-pounder - obtaining the knowledge and scrounging the parts to put together an awesome, powerful ride.

Your ride is a direct reflection of your mechanical prowess, and a direct reflection of your acceptance within the hot-rodders too, because you ain't gonna find the parts and knowledge without them. Same thing in the big truck crowd. Same thing with Harleys.

But a factory hot-rod, all together and already finished (just like all the rest) is for OLD men, reliving glory days, and for POSERS that don't have the mechanical balls to grow their own... Nobody in their right mind would pay for that car.

Jussayin.

@roamer_1

Yet the guys under 40 buy and drive most of them.

The geezers are into 4x4 Suburbans and stuff like that.

Practically nobody is building traditional hot rods anymore. Everybody  wants finished cars ready  to drive,and the cars and trucks that are the traditional hot rods were all made in the 20's,30's,40's,and early 50's,and  by now the crushers got most of them thanks to zoning laws and scrap metal prices.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 09:59:50 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My wife's 1st car was a camaro. We kept it for quite a many years and then gave it to my nephew.  I have always been partial to Chevy. The only non-Chevy truck I've ever owned was an F150 and I was glad to give it to my nephew and go back to Chevys. I even have a Chevy 350 eng in my 53 Willys. I have a Chevy ignition in my 75hp Chrysler outboard. I'm keeping my son's 75 Vette. It has a newly rebuilt 454. My son wants a hotter engine and said I could put that 454 into my 56 Chevy 3/4 ton. It still has the stock 235 in it.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

Yet the guys under 40 buy and drive most of them.

The geezers are into 4x4 Suburbans and stuff like that.

Practically nobody is building traditional hot rods anymore. Everybody  wants finished cars ready  to drive,and the cars and trucks that are the traditional hot rods were all made in the 20's,30's,40's,and early 50's,and  by now the crushers got most of them thanks to zoning laws and scrap metal prices.

And it's a damn cryin shame, @sneakypete .
As a tinker, I transcend mere hot-rod auto... But I speak with authority to this claim:

People that can fix for themselves can live on near nothing. And that used to be imbued in American blue-collar.
It is not anymore.
But a handful can even change a tire.

And I don't get it.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
And it's a damn cryin shame, @sneakypete .
As a tinker, I transcend mere hot-rod auto... But I speak with authority to this claim:

People that can fix for themselves can live on near nothing. And that used to be imbued in American blue-collar.
It is not anymore.
But a handful can even change a tire.

And I don't get it.

Back in the early 80's I had a nice small size lady co-worker. She had told me that she does the oil changes on their cars as her hands and arms are smaller than her husband's and it's easier for her to change the oil filters. She also said she has a jack for lifting up spare tires in case of a flat.

Online roamer_1

Back in the early 80's I had a nice small size lady co-worker. She had told me that she does the oil changes on their cars as her hands and arms are smaller than her husband's and it's easier for her to change the oil filters. She also said she has a jack for lifting up spare tires in case of a flat.

Hey... There's been shop babes all along... I've known gals that can pull a motor and tear it down... And any redneck gal worth her salt at least knows the tools, and which wrench to fetch. There ain't a country gal that can't make do... It just ain't her job... She can run a tractor too, and many have had to with the old man down at harvest time.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Yeh. It just suprized me as she was one of my Space Shuttle Telemetry System Integration, Test, and CM Engineers.

Online roamer_1

Yeh. It just suprized me as she was one of my Space Shuttle Telemetry System Integration, Test, and CM Engineers.

Ahh. a geek... not so much a female geek - though those tend to be rare in my experience... female mechanics less so...