Author Topic: Cardinal sentenced to 5 1/2 years in Vatican's financial 'trial of the century'  (Read 237 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://abcnews.go.com/International/vaticans-financial-trial-century-announce-verdict-test-pope/story?id=105690180.

By Phoebe Natanson
December 16, 2023

The Vatican city court on Saturday sentenced Cardinal Giovanni Angelo Becciu, once touted as a possible papal contender, to 5 1/2 years in prison for mismanaging a Vatican property portfolio which included a luxury flat in London.

Becciu, the former Substitute for General Affairs in the Vatican Secretariat of State, is the highest ranking Vatican official ever to face financial charges. He was convicted on two counts of embezzlement and one of aggravated fraud, according to the Italian news agency ANSA. He was acquitted of other counts of embezzlement, abuse of office and witness tampering.

The court also fined Becciu 8,000 euros and banned him from public office for life.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have to admit that I am shocked by this.

I always figured the Vatican always covered up anything that even MIGHT be detrimental to their reputation.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!