Author Topic: Chicago wants to keep poor students in failing schools for equity  (Read 285 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Chicago wants to keep poor students in failing schools for equity
© Provided by Washington Examiner

Mayor Brandon Johnson lied during his campaign to become mayor of Chicago, but now he has erased any doubt: He wants to make life harder for poor students by destroying selective enrollment in the name of “equity.”

Johnson said during his campaign that “a Johnson administration would not end selective enrollment at CPS schools.” Now, his board of education is pushing forward a plan to end selective enrollment and force students to attend their neighborhood schools. That selective school enrollment that Johnson is opposed to helps academically gifted low-income students get into higher quality charter and magnet schools that are the highest performing in the city and among the best in the country.

But academic achievements are racist, according to Johnson and his broken worldview. “Our current system of school choice sorts students based on test scores and other things,” Chicago Board of Education Vice President Elizabeth Todd-Breland said. “Research has demonstrated the harm that’s caused by this sorting.” The board’s CEO said these schools lead to “stratification and inequity.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/chicago-wants-to-keep-poor-students-in-failing-schools-for-equity/ar-AA1lzo8X?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=906b9ebd466f4ec3849fb61049e1a407&ei=21
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Chicago wants to keep poor students in failing schools for equity
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 07:01:12 pm »
It's easy to tell Chicago has been, and still are, teaching kids what to think, not how to think.  Look who they elect in Chicago, and you can tell there is very little thinking going on.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson