Author Topic: F-35 head warns future upgrades at risk, production shutdown possible  (Read 183 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-35 head warns future upgrades at risk, production shutdown possible
By Stephen Losey
 Dec 15, 04:19 PM

WASHINGTON — The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is facing “significant challenges” on its future weapons and other capability upgrades that, if delayed, could lead to a production shutdown, the officer in charge of the program told lawmakers this week.

F-35 program executive officer Lt. Gen. Michael Schmidt said in written testimony to the House Armed Services subcommittee on tactical air and land forces that the upgrade known as Block 4 has had considerable issues related to the maturity of its hardware design, and timelines for integrating its software.

Block 4 upgrades — intended to allow the F-35 to carry more weapons, better recognize targets, and improve its electronic warfare capabilities, among other features — are also facing serious concurrency problems, Schmidt said in written testimony. Concurrency occurs when a system moves through development and into procurement at the same time, which makes it harder to fix problems discovered in testing.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2023/12/15/f-35-head-warns-future-upgrades-at-risk-production-shutdown-possible/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: F-35 head warns future upgrades at risk, production shutdown possible
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 03:43:30 pm »
Man, what a plane - if it ever gets the weapons and technology that the military has claimed it will have. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson