Author Topic: Preliminary findings indicate Army still without viable APS solution for Strykers: General  (Read 176 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Preliminary findings indicate Army still without viable APS solution for Strykers: General
While the service is still hunting for hard-kill APS solutions for the fleet, it is also looking more broadly at different formation protection options.
By   ASHLEY ROQUE
on December 15, 2023 at 2:02 PM

WASHINGTON — In all likelihood, the US Army still has not found an active protection system (APS) to integrate onto its Stryker fleet, even after recent testing with a new candidate, according to a two-star general.

For years, the service has been on the hunt for APSs to integrate onto M1 Abrams main battle tanks, Bradleys and Strykers to protect them from incoming threats like rocket propelled grenades. While it has now picked systems for those first two fleets, the quest to find one for the Stryker is still plagued by size, weight and power constraints.

“We have been unable to find a technical solution adequate for Stryker, although we continue to keep an eye on what the commercial space may bring and [what] our partners in the Army Combat Capabilities Development Command are working on,” Maj. Gen. Glenn Dean, the service’s Program Executive Officer for Ground Combat Systems told Breaking Defense during a Dec. 1 interview.

Dean’s comments come after the service completed limited characterization testing in September with a possible APS candidate for Styker called StrikeShield, a hybrid hard-kill and armor solution by Rheinmetall and its US partner Unified Business Technologies. An official with United Business Technologies said the team has not received the official test results and will hold off on commenting until the results are officially released.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/12/preliminary-findings-indicate-army-still-without-viable-aps-solution-for-strykers-general/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson