Author Topic: Tropical storm-like conditions to slam Florida this weekend as Gulf Low moves in (12/15)  (Read 420 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Well this will be a 1st for us!  Not worried but my Christmas decorations might take a hit.

ORLANDO, Fla - A significant storm is coming together in a very unusual way this weekend. Three pieces of energy in the atmosphere will merge over Florida and create a strong, but non-tropical area of low pressure that yields heavy rains, winds, coastal flooding, and tornadoes.

This will not be a tropical storm because it will be "cold-cored," meaning, unlike a tropical system (think a fireplace as the eye, warm air going to the top of the storm), it has no fireplace in the center. Also, as you can see below, ocean surface temperatures are far too cool to support tropical genesis.

Where the orange shading is, the ocean temperatures are above 80 degrees. That is where the ocean can support tropical development. However, you see surface temperatures are much cooler over the NE Gulf of Mexico and the Big Bend area of Florida.

https://news.yahoo.com/nws-issues-coastal-flood-warnings-151902669.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Wow, funny you brought this up.

Was telling my wife that the low in the GOM almost looks like a progenic tropical system,  And looking at the temperature profiles of the Centrai/Eastern GOM, and relatively low N/S shear, (thoought the E/W is stroong)  I at least believe there is a slight chance of tropical development, if the surface low stays intact and doesn't get shredded by that E/W winds aloft.   

But don't expect to hear that from the NHC.....   They closed shop December 1st for the year.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
National Radar:

Offline libertybele

It is supposed to rain here all day tomorrow -- with 1-3" of rain -- 2 ft. storm surge possible with wind gusts of 20-30 mph through Sunday morning and dipping down into the 40's around  Wednesday -- we'll warm back up Christmas day.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
It is supposed to rain here all day tomorrow -- with 1-3" of rain -- 2 ft. storm surge possible with wind gusts of 20-30 mph through Sunday morning and dipping down into the 40's around  Wednesday -- we'll warm back up Christmas day.

Not a lot of storm activity here and we have little snow. We might hit highs of 40 by Christmas.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley