Author Topic: Electric vehicle owners may soon be hit with annual fee in Pennsylvania  (Read 1030 times)

Online mountaineer

Electric vehicle owners may soon be hit with annual fee in Pennsylvania
WPMT Harrisburg via MSN
Story by Alyssa Kratz
Dec. 13, 2023
If you have an electric vehicle, it may soon be time to pay up.

“When I started this process there may have been 5,000 electric vehicles, now there’s 10,000 electric vehicles," said Senator Greg Rothman (R-Cumberland/Perry/Dauphin). "A lot of manufacturers are saying they’re not going to make gas vehicles anymore so we’re not going to have a way to fund our infrastructure.

The upkeep of Pennsylvania’s roads and bridges is funded through a state gas tax.

The current rate of .61 cents per gallon is one of the highest in the United States, but those driving an electric vehicle aren’t paying for it.

“You don’t pay gas tax obviously, you pay an alternative fuels tax," explained Sen. Rothman. "Well turns out most electric vehicle drivers don’t know about the alternative fuels tax and aren’t paying it.”

That’s why Senator Rothman is proposing a bill that would get rid of that tax, instead requiring all electric vehicle owners to pay a flat rate of $290 every year.  ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Electric vehicle owners may soon be hit with annual fee in Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 07:36:09 pm »
... as those rich, smug bastids should.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Electric vehicle owners may soon be hit with annual fee in Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 07:53:42 pm »
"Well turns out most electric vehicle drivers don’t know about the alternative fuels tax and aren’t paying it.”

And whose fault is that? Shouldn't collecting that be a function/responsibility of the state DMV at registration?