Author Topic: U.S. Retail Sales Smash Expectations As Holiday Shopping Ramps Up  (Read 531 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
U.S. Retail Sales Smash Expectations As Holiday Shopping Ramps Up

John Carney 14 Dec 2023

Tis the season to be merrily shopping.

Overall retail sales rose 0.3 percent in November compared with the prior month, the Commerce Department said Thursday. Economists had forecast a decline from the month before.

Sales in November were 4.1 percent from a year earlier, outpacing inflation. The retail sales figures are seasonally adjusted to take account of the holiday shopping rush but not adjusted for changes in prices. The consumer price index rose 3.1 percent from a year ago, the Labor Department said this week.

Gasoline prices fell six percent in November, according to the consumer price index. Sales at gas stations fell 2.9 percent in November.

Excluding gas stations, retail sales rose 0.6 percent last month from October, an acceleration from the 0.1 percent increase in the prior month. Sales are up 5.4 percent compared with November of last year.

Retail sales account for around one-third of all consumer spending and are viewed as a window into the health of the household sector.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2023/12/14/retail-sales-november-2023/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: U.S. Retail Sales Smash Expectations As Holiday Shopping Ramps Up
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 07:17:37 pm »
Which is great but how much is coming from credit card debt?
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 08:49:09 pm »
Which is great but how much is coming from credit card debt?
I think we'll find out next year with the record number of bankruptcies filed.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 09:15:51 pm »
With prices at an all time high, is there any wonder that retail sales exceeded expectations? Even with sales, I spent more than I did last year.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 09:49:08 pm »
Despite people’s economic worries, they still seem willing to spend

You can’t take your money to your great reward after death
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 10:19:33 pm »
Despite people’s economic worries, they still seem willing to spend

You can’t take your money to your great reward after death

No, but you need $$ to be able to pay your rent or mortgage, electricity, water, taxes and put food on your table.  People are struggling to do just that.  Christmas presents? How many parents are putting toys for their kids on credit cards or relying on charitable organizations??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 10:43:28 pm »
No, but you need $$ to be able to pay your rent or mortgage, electricity, water, taxes and put food on your table.  People are struggling to do just that.  Christmas presents? How many parents are putting toys for their kids on credit cards or relying on charitable organizations??

Absolutely true. But maybe we should go back to the "old days". I don't know about you, but when I grew up, I got one present off of my Santa list. Not enough to fill up a bedroom. It made things special.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 10:50:54 pm »

People have been abusing their credit card since the 1990s
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 10:52:31 pm »

Absolutely true. But maybe we should go back to the "old days". I don't know about you, but when I grew up, I got one present off of my Santa list. Not enough to fill up a bedroom. It made things special.

When I was growing up, we each got one present a piece

The first best present  I remember getting was an 8 track stereo

Barry Goldwater