Author Topic: Here we go again? GOP hard-liners rage at speaker for dealing with Dems  (Read 776 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House passes NDAA as members leave town, angering conservatives in the process
by Reese Gorman, Congressional Reporter
December 14, 2023 10:47 AM

The House passed the annual National Defense Authorization Act on Thursday, before its members leave for the year, angering many conservatives who feel as though Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) caved in negotiations.

However, much like when then-Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) passed bipartisan legislation that hard-line conservatives did not agree with, there will likely be a revolt.

“The Members of the House Freedom Caucus are prepared to use all available leverage to change the status quo,” the House Freedom Caucus said in a statement. “We will not simply vote ‘no’ on bad legislation and go home for Christmas.”

While the threat is vague, and members of the Freedom Caucus have refused to expand on what they mean by it, the disdain for this year’s NDAA was real.

The vote on Thursday was 310-118, with 73 Republicans voting against the NDAA.

A main point of opposition to the NDAA was Johnson’s decision to include a short-term extinction of Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act until April 19, 2024.

“It's upsetting to me,” Rep. Cory Mills (R-FL), who voted against the NDAA, said. “You can see the kind of trickery of DC where they try and attach FISA to the NDAA. That way, they can put you into that situation where if you vote against it, ‘Oh, you hate our military.’ Or if you vote for it, ‘Oh, you hate individual privacy.’ So these (are) poison pills.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/house-passes-ndaa-angering-conservatives-
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: Here we go again? GOP hard-liners rage at speaker for dealing with Dems
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 07:01:53 pm »
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 07:05:20 pm »
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Congress is Disfunction Junction. What is your malfunction?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 07:19:15 pm »
All the more reason for GOP to try to take back the US Senate in 2024 and increase its margin of majority in the House.

As long as GOP majority in House is slim, and Dems hold the Senate, Johnson will need to deal with Dems to keep the Government functioning for the American people ... not for MAGA propaganda tropes on FoxNews, OAN, NewsMax, and MAGA pudcasts.

That's how a Constitutional Federal Republic is supposed to work - majority rule, not whiny little bitches rule.

Adults are trying to run America.  Maybe the Freedom Caucus needs to be seated at the children's table.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 07:23:04 pm »

Nuthin' but words, phrases, and clauses.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 09:45:20 pm »
All the more reason for GOP to try to take back the US Senate in 2024 and increase its margin of majority in the House.

As long as GOP majority in House is slim, and Dems hold the Senate, Johnson will need to deal with Dems to keep the Government functioning for the American people ... not for MAGA propaganda tropes on FoxNews, OAN, NewsMax, and MAGA pudcasts.

That's how a Constitutional Federal Republic is supposed to work - majority rule, not whiny little bitches rule.

Adults are trying to run America.  Maybe the Freedom Caucus needs to be seated at the children's table.

It's interesting you back the leftist position here, complete with calling the Freedom Caucus a bunch of childish retards.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 10:39:31 pm »
It's interesting you back the leftist position here, complete with calling the Freedom Caucus a bunch of childish retards.

Where did he call them retards?

Not that it wouldn’t fit.

The childish definitely fits, and childishness has become overwhelmingly prevalent since The Don got elected.

Reality is you cannot simply insist on my way or the highway, the narcissist way (hat tip also The Don) especially when you are not clearly in control.

Poster is correct.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 11:10:26 pm »
Where did he call them retards?

Not that it wouldn’t fit.

The childish definitely fits, and childishness has become overwhelmingly prevalent since The Don got elected.

Reality is you cannot simply insist on my way or the highway, the narcissist way (hat tip also The Don) especially when you are not clearly in control.

Poster is correct.

Establishment Loyalists don't understand leverage, or negotiating. The few Patriot we have in the Congress are willing to fight, but they keep getting sold out by those that claim to be one of them. Johnson lost his moment when he agreed to a CR into Jan. Right now the future does not look good.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 02:04:43 am »
C'mon...  That's his job. Of course he has to deal with Democrats.

He is the one who has to navigate a course between the two sides. It's what he does.

For the same reason, I ain't mad at the CR... He's up against the deadline and the Christmas vacation... O\f course there was a CR.I will start getting pissed at what happens next. When they all get back to work in January, that's where the rubber hits the road.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2023, 02:19:49 am »
Need I say more...

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 03:31:44 am »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 03:55:25 am »
Need I say more...

I was just going to post this ...  9999hair out0000

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 04:55:10 am »
Need I say more...

Speaker Johnson Under Fire as Controversial Photo with Trump-Hater Paul Ryan Emerges at the Capitol (VIDEO)
Gateway Pundit, Dec 14, 2023

Speaker Johnson is currently facing backlash after a photo surfaced showing him in the company of former House Speaker Paul Ryan.

The image, captured and shared by Jake Sherman of Punchbowl News, depicts the two figures emerging together from the Speaker’s suite at the Capitol. This encounter has sparked controversy, particularly given Ryan’s recent public statements criticizing former President Donald Trump.

Paul Ryan, who served as the Speaker of the House from 2015 to 2019 and the architect of FOX News cancel culture, branded former President Donald Trump as an “authoritarian narcissist” while commending the actions of Trump critics, Adam Kinzinger and Liz Cheney.

“Look, Trump’s not a conservative. He’s an authoritarian narcissist. So I think they basically called him out for that. He’s a populist, authoritarian narcissist. So historically speaking, all of his tendencies are basically where narcissism takes him, which is whatever makes him popular, makes him feel good at any given moment… He doesn’t think in classical liberal-conservative terms. He thinks in an authoritarian way. And he’s been able to get a big chunk of the Republican base to follow him because he’s the culture warrior.”

“And so I think Adam and Liz stepped out of the flow and called it out and, you know, paid for it. Paid for it with their careers. But I think, again, back to my earlier point, I don’t think he is really very good at these jobs unless you’re willing to lose these jobs.”

The photo was taken a day before the House passed the $886 billion National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) by a vote of 310-118, following the Senate’s endorsement, which now advances the bill to President Biden’s desk.

Speaker Johnson was one of the lawmakers who voted in favor of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

More:
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/12/speaker-johnson-under-fire-as-controversial-photo-trump/

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 05:30:52 am »
Establishment Loyalists don't understand leverage, or negotiating.

Oh, I think they understand it much better then do many of the hardline conservatives.  After all, wasn't it the hardliners who thought that getting rid of McCarthy would actually change things? Wasn't it the hardliners who believed that the slim GOP majority in Congress gave them all the power? 

Turns out, changing Speakers changed almost nothing. And it also turns out that the hardliners have much less power than they thought they did.  They're getting railroaded by the rest of the caucus, and there's not a damn thing they can do about it.  Which is pretty much case closed in terms of which group doesn't understand negotiating or leverage.

The few Patriot we have in the Congress are willing to fight, but they keep getting sold out by those that claim to be one of them. Johnson lost his moment when he agreed to a CR into Jan. Right now the future does not look good.

I personally have zero tolerance for politicians who may be right on the issues but utterly stupid about how they go about trying to achieve them.  You can sometimes convince someone on an substantive issue, but you can't fix stupid.  It's terminal.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 05:36:21 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 11:16:26 am »
White House and Senate want appropriations for whatever.

The only place to get a Bill of Appropriation is the US House of Reps.

The Golden Rule:  He who has the gold makes the rules.

The House of Reps is in the driver's seat.  The Senate is riding shotgun.  The President is in back, strapped to a toddler's seat.

If the Senate and the President keep trying to change the radio stations, the House of Reps can pull the car over, and tell them to get out of the car.

GOP House Bills of Appropriation should never be free to the US Senate and the White House.  It is reasonable, and used to be standard opperating procedure, to exact quid pro quo.

If b!tche$ want money, they need to offer something in return.  It's the American way.

Secure Joe Biden's Open Borders.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.