Author Topic: The U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve only has a 20-day supply for the country  (Read 215 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve only has a 20-day supply for the country
December 13th, 2023

In 1973, the Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) imposed an oil embargo against the United States, triggering a crude oil crisis that sent the U.S. economy into a recession. To mitigate from any future shortages of oil, President Gerald Ford signed the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975, which established the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR).

The SPR is centrally located along the Gulf Coast where the oil can be distributed to nearly half of all U.S. oil refineries using interstate pipelines or barges.

Interestingly, California, the 4th largest economy in the world, has no access to the SPR as there are no pipelines over the Sierra Mountains to reach the “California Energy Island”.

A few years after the SPR was authorized, in the aftermath of the 1973 oil crisis in 1977, the Department of Energy was established to lessen our dependence on foreign oil.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/12/13/the-u-s-strategic-petroleum-reserve-only-has-a-20-day-supply-for-the-country/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 11:24:14 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson