Author Topic: White House lays out offer on immigration changes in talks with Congress  (Read 192 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
White House lays out offer on immigration changes in talks with Congress
Story by Camilo Montoya-Galvez  •
14h

Washington — The Biden administration on Tuesday indicated to congressional lawmakers that it would be willing to support a new border authority to expel migrants without asylum screenings, as well as a dramatic expansion of immigration detention and deportations, to convince Republicans to back aid to Ukraine, four people familiar with the matter told CBS News.

The White House informed Senate Democrats that it could back those sweeping and hardline immigration policy changes as part of the negotiations over President Biden's emergency funding request, a roughly $100 billion package that includes military aid to Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine, as well as money to bolster border enforcement and hire additional immigration officials.
For weeks, a small group of senators have been attempting to reach an immigration enforcement deal. Republicans have conditioned any further assistance to Ukraine to policy changes designed to reduce the unprecedented levels of illegal crossings along the southern border.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/white-house-lays-out-offer-on-immigration-changes-in-talks-with-congress/ar-AA1loY5j?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f5760aecf91f4b1db052c3059f761342&ei=63
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: White House lays out offer on immigration changes in talks with Congress
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 11:22:44 am »
Would you believe anything Biden offered?  I wouldn't! **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson