Author Topic: Sheathing the Sword of Damocles: 6 steps to righting the ship as 2023 ends and 2024 begins  (Read 172 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Sheathing the Sword of Damocles: 6 steps to righting the ship as 2023 ends and 2024 begins
As 2023 is coming to a close, time is running out for Congress, the Pentagon and the Biden administration to act, write AEI's Elaine McCusker and John Ferrari in this op-ed.
By   ELAINE MCCUSKER and JOHN FERRARI
on December 11, 2023 at 11:39 AM

Some logjams in Congress have been broken, but others stubbornly remain. In this op-ed AEI’s Elaine McCusker and John Ferrari warn that time is running out to solve critical problems of the US government’s own making. Here are six things lawmakers and policymakers need to do, ASAP.

As we approach the end of a year that has been congressionally chaotic and strategically dangerous, we find our nation in a precarious position.

Scarce funds and unrecoverable time are being deliberately wasted under continuing resolutions (CRs). War is raging in Europe and the Middle East, regions dubbed by multiple administrations as less important than strategic competition with China.

The US needs to take our own side in the fight against these challenges rather than seemingly, intentionally stumbling into the threat of global war: one that we could very well be unprepared to win.

There are three things Congress needs to do before the end of 2023:

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/12/sheathing-the-sword-of-damocles-6-steps-to-righting-the-ship-as-2023-ends-and-2024-begins/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson