Author Topic: Report: Harvard President Claudine Gay to Stay; Plagiarism Concerns Linger  (Read 2771 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Harvard President Claudine Gay to Stay; Plagiarism Concerns Linger

Joel B. Pollak 12 Dec 2023

Harvard University president Claudine Gay is going to keep her position — for now — despite failing to tackle antisemitism on campus, and despite failing to state that calling for the genocide of Jews would violate Harvard’s code of conduct.

In the days since her disastrous testimony in Congress last Tuesday, Gay has tried to clean up her statements, and has apologized. “What I should have had the presence of mind to do in that moment was return to my guiding truth,” she said.

But as the Harvard Corporation — the governing body of the university — met for a scheduled gathering on Monday, Gay received the support of the full executive committee of the Harvard Alumni Association. Hundreds of faculty members and black alumni also signed letters of support.

Now, the Harvard Crimson reported, Gay is likely to stay — though the Harvard Corporation has raised concern about plagiarism allegations that emerged in recent days:

The Harvard Corporation expressed concerns about allegations of plagiarism in University President Claudine Gay’s academic work Tuesday morning, even as the board declared its unanimous support for Harvard’s embattled president, providing Gay with a path forward to remain in office.

“As members of the Harvard Corporation, we today reaffirm our support for President Gay’s continued leadership of Harvard University,” the board wrote in a University-wide statement on Tuesday. “In this tumultuous and difficult time, we unanimously stand in support of President Gay.”

…

While the Corporation said it did not believe that the allegations amount to misconduct, it announced that Gay agreed to amend two publications.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/education/2023/12/12/report-harvard-president-claudine-gay-to-stay-plagiarism-concerns-linger/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Report: Harvard President Claudine Gay to Stay; Plagiarism Concerns Linger
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 03:08:59 pm »
They can't fire her because ... you know ... that stuff heterosexual white Christian males of Western European descent can't talk about ...

... but they can "promote" her, she could "retire", she could "spend more time with family", she could "pursue outside opportunities".

Firing her would make Harvard look more racist than it already does.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 05:10:39 pm »
Harvard Board release statement showing their unconditional support for embattled Harvard President Claudine Gay after she refused to take action against antisemitism on campus. In the letter, the board also address accusations Gay plagiarized some of her writings and found ‘no violations of Harvards standards.’

All this shows us is that Harvard has no standards. Plagiarism is A-okay with them. It's no wonder Harvard admits dopes like David Hogg and Malia Obama.

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/status/1734585092792541281
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 05:52:53 pm »
Too many checked boxes for her to be fired.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2023, 04:32:42 pm »
Harvard covered up secret plagiarism probe into president Claudine Gay during antisemitism storm — threatened The Post
By Social Links forIsabel Vincent
Published Dec. 12, 2023, 6:03 p.m. ET

Harvard University covered up a high-level investigation into whether its controversial president was a plagiarist — and used an expensive law firm to threaten The Post over our own probe.

The college announced Tuesday morning that it had investigated Claudine Gay over whether some of her academic work was plagiarized and had cleared her of breaching the college’s “standards for research misconduct.”

Instead, it said that she would request four corrections in two publications to insert citations and quotation marks that were originally “omitted.”

But The Post can disclose that Harvard spent weeks failing to come clean about Gay being under investigation — staying quiet even when she was hauled in front of Congress for disastrous testimony on how the Ivy League college is dealing with antisemitism on campus.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/12/news/harvard-secret-plagiarism-probe-into-president-claudine-gay/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 12:03:05 am »
Harvard hid its own plagiarism inquiry of Claudine Gay, then hired an attorney to bully and threaten the NY Post for asking tough questions about the plagiarized passages in her work.
Story at NY Post: https://t.co/8vzs4avtfG

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 02:01:04 am »
Christopher F. Rufo ⚔️
@realchrisrufo
Professor Stephen Voss confirms that Claudine Gay plagiarized his work. The dominos continue to fall.

https://twitter.com/DStephenVoss/status/1734850242653393194

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 02:31:13 pm »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 09:35:43 pm »
Christopher F. Rufo ⚔️
@realchrisrufo
As dean, Claudine Gay expelled student for plagiarism, while hiding the fact that she herself had plagiarized at least five academic papers. This is untenable. Everyone on campus knows it.
11:28 PM · Dec 13, 2023

Offline berdie

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 10:31:58 pm »
Christopher F. Rufo ⚔️
@realchrisrufo
As dean, Claudine Gay expelled student for plagiarism, while hiding the fact that she herself had plagiarized at least five academic papers. This is untenable. Everyone on campus knows it.
11:28 PM · Dec 13, 2023

That's just wrong!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 04:22:26 pm »
I've obtained Harvard's rules on plagiarism from 1995, which applied to Claudine Gay while she was writing her Ph.D. thesis. The rules are clear: Gay committed plagiarism and should have been "required to withdraw from the College for at least two semesters."

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1736761233528000965

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 07:38:34 pm »
Mike Rowe responds to a query on his Facebook page:
Mr. Rowe –
Regarding your earlier post – the one that called out the antisemitism on display in the Ivy League – I wonder if you’d share your thoughts on Harvard’s refusal to oust their president, as UPenn ousted theirs? Why do you suppose Claudine Gay hasn’t been fired for her comments before Congress? Also, do you see any reason to be encouraged – even just a little bit – by what’s happening today in higher education?
Marcus Theisen

Hi Marcus
First of all, thanks for using the words “oust” and “ousted” in the same sentence. It’s a good word, in part because it has no exact opposite in the language. (“Inst?” “Insted?”) I’m not sure why that pleases me, but it does. It's also a fine way to describe a person who wasn't exactly fired but who nevertheless had to go…

As for your question, it seems to me that Claudine Gay has not yet been "ousted," because she is the living embodiment of Harvard’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. To say it plainly, Claudine Gay is a highly-educated black woman who also happens to be gay—four qualities that have nothing to do with a person’s character, integrity, or intelligence—but are nevertheless highly valued at Harvard. Firing her now would be an indictment of that value system, and so far, the board has been unwilling to do that. Even today, in light of the fact that she appears to have plagiarized several key academic papers that led to her ascendency, Claudine Gay is still standing.  https://bit.ly/3v9h9Qg We’ll see for how long.

According to Derrick Johnson, the president of the NAACP, any criticism of Claudine Gay is an indication of "white supremacy." https://bit.ly/4aonnvB Obviously, I disagree. I think failing to acknowledge what's happening here is an indication of cowardice and a refusal to admit that DEI is now a faith-based requirement for faculty and students alike. Just as religious institutions require students and faculty to affirm their faith in God, Harvard and many other secular universities now require a similar expression of faith in all things DEI.

Consider:
New York University’s Tandon School of Engineering requires that all faculty applicants include "a statement of your experience with inclusion, diversity, equity, and your plans for incorporating them into your teaching, research, mentoring, and service.”
California State University, Sacramento, requires applicants for a history job to submit a statement showing, among other things, how the candidate would “advance the History Department’s goal of promoting an anti-racist and anti-oppressive campus to recruit, retain, and mentor students.”

Northern Arizona University requires a diversity statement “that highlights an understanding of the role of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in a university setting. Please include examples from past experiences and reference plans to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in your teaching, research, and service.”

You can find dozens of other examples of DEI worship in American universities here: https://bit.ly/3RKBnbE but you’ll have a hard time finding an institution of higher learning that requires its students or faculty to write an essay on the merits of…merit.

I don’t mean to imply that Harvard and other universities don’t value things like work ethic, delayed gratification, a positive attitude, personal responsibility, and so forth. What I mean to say is that other things have become much more important to them. That was made obvious in Gay’s testimony, and more obvious by the excuses now offered up by her defenders. And that's likely to have real consequences for Harvard. Congressman Dan Crenshaw has just introduced a bill that would strip federal funding from Harvard and every other university that requires their students to make written statements affirming their fealty to the tenets of DEI. https://bit.ly/3GOTC9z

Personally, I hope the bill succeeds. A private university like Harvard is free to elevate whatever values they deem most important, but that doesn’t mean taxpayers should be forced to subsidize those values. Especially when those values are diametrically opposed to a meritocracy. Because if we "oust" our meritocracy, it will surely become an idiocracy—a very funny movie but a very sad and scary eventuality.

On a more personal level, Marcus, I’m encouraged by the popularity of my S.W.E.A.T. Pledge, which has become an antidote of sorts to all things DEI. It didn’t start out that way, of course. Ten years ago, The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge (Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo) was a simple statement of personal belief that I wrote to better articulate those qualities I wanted to encourage with our work ethic scholarship program. All of our scholarship applicants must sign The Pledge, and I’m delighted to report that over the years, many thousands have. I’m likewise delighted to tell you that The S.W.E.A.T. Pledge is now hanging in thousands of classrooms all over the country, along with countless break rooms on various job sites. It's also at the heart of the MRW Work Ethic Certification Program, a new curriculum currently being taught in a few dozen sensible colleges.

That, as you might imagine, has upset a lot of people, many of whom want to know why I would write such a “problematic” document in the first place and insist that all scholarship applicants sign it.

The answer is simple. I’m trying to elevate the notion of work ethic while reinvigorating the skilled trades. I want to make sure people who apply for one of my scholarships understand what's most important to me and my foundation, and I'm doing so by requiring them to sign a pledge that elevates the meritocracy I hope to God we don't lose entirely. To say it another way, I’m doing exactly what Harvard is doing, in reverse. I’m discriminating. Not on the basis of race, gender, or sexual preference, like they do, but rather on the basis of character, work ethic, and merit—qualities that any person can choose to embrace or reject, no matter what they look like, where they're from, or how they identify.

Alas, unlike Harvard, the mikeroweWORKS Foundation does not have a 50 billion endowment or a fountain of federal funding to rely upon year after year. What we do have is support from companies who rely on a skilled workforce, and from those individuals who share our basic values. Thanks to their support, we've been able to assist 1,800 individuals with nearly $8 million in work ethic scholarships. If you'd like to help out in the new year, you may rest assured that your donation will help train the next generation of skilled workers. Specifically, those individuals who have signed the S.W.E.A.T Pledge, and desire to be weighed and measured on their merit.
No pressure. The world is filled with good causes and bloody do-gooders engaged in many worthwhile endeavors. But if you’re inclined to assist, you can do so at mikeroweWORKS.org. There, you can donate as extravagantly or as modestly as you wish. You can also purchase a variety of MRW swag, including your very own S.W.E.A.T Pledge, which will arrive just in time for President’s Day. Or, if you'd like something more substantial for your largess, you can buy a bottle of my grandfather’s whiskey at knobelspirits.com. Which, if you watched the aforementioned Congressional testimony, you probably need.

Carry on,
Mike

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2023, 11:33:57 pm »
Mike Rowe responds to a query on his Facebook page:

Mike is Magna cum laude when it comes to talking to the educated idiots.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2023, 11:44:39 pm »
Mike is Magna cum laude when it comes to talking to the educated idiots.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 07:02:32 pm »
Barack Obama stepped in to back Claudine Gay at Harvard because maintaining the DEI regime in the academy is essential to maintaining control over the country:

https://twitter.com/bhweingarten/status/1738198180917813315

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 07:03:38 pm »
Elise Stefanik
@EliseStefanik

Wow. @Harvard must really be in a free fall if someone had to beg Obama(!) to call to save Claudine Gay.

Her morally bankrupt and plagiarist presidency is untenable. And everyone - including Harvard - knows it.
9:01 AM · Dec 22, 2023

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2023, 07:05:47 pm »
Elise Stefanik
@EliseStefanik

Wow. @Harvard must really be in a free fall if someone had to beg Obama(!) to call to save Claudine Gay.

Her morally bankrupt and plagiarist presidency is untenable. And everyone - including Harvard - knows it.
9:01 AM · Dec 22, 2023

:bingo:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2023, 07:12:57 pm »
Fox News
@FoxNews
Obama privately lobbied on Harvard President Claudine Gay’s behalf amid antisemitism controversy: Report
FOX News
1:08 PM · Dec 22, 2023

Lee Smith
@LeeSmithDC
He isn’t protecting her, he’s protecting the pro-Hamas mobs.
1:54 PM · Dec 22, 2023

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2023, 07:14:52 pm »
Too many checked boxes for her to be fired.
:yowsa:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2023, 07:34:26 pm »
Eli Steele
@Hebro_Steele
To understand Claudine Gay one must understand that she is an imposter victim. She didn’t suffer slavery or segregation, yet she cloaked herself with their victimization as she walked one of the most privileged and protected paths of diversity (later DEI) to power.

This identity politics version of black power is her power. That is why when she, an ideologically-driven being, was confronted with the horrific and undeniable victimization of the Jews she lacked the morals to treat everyone by the same standard. To do that and to truly embrace the victimization of the Jews would mean admitting that her life’s path was wrong.  Her only aim is to protect the black power that greased her path to the top despite her profound mediocrity and immorality.
9:11 PM · Dec 21, 2023

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2023, 07:42:38 pm »
I can't recall who said this but I agree entirely!

In the future all Harvard degrees should be printed on Charmin so they will at least have SOME value!

- J. R. R. Tolkien