Author Topic: Uncontrolled chemical reactions fuel crises at L.A. County's two largest landfills  (Read 439 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Uncontrolled chemical reactions fuel crises at L.A. County's two largest landfills
Story by Tony Briscoe  •
1h

Hundreds of feet underground, in a long-dormant portion of Chiquita Canyon landfill, tons of garbage have been smoldering for months due to an enigmatic chemical reaction.

Although operators of the Castaic landfill say there’s no full-blown fire, temperatures within the dump have climbed to more than 200 degrees, and area residents have complained of a burned garbage odor wafting through the neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, 12 miles to the southeast, Sunshine Canyon landfill has suffered water intrusion from torrential storms earlier this year. That seepage has fueled bacteria growth within the Sylmar landfill, giving rise to putrid odors that have nauseated students and staff at a local elementary school.

The highly unusual reactions at Los Angeles County's two largest landfills have raised serious questions about the region's long-standing approach to waste disposal and its aging dumps. These incidents have impaired pollution control systems, allowing toxic gases and polluted water to migrate into unwanted areas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/uncontrolled-chemical-reactions-fuel-crises-at-l-a-county-s-two-largest-landfills/ar-AA1lnuIf?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ab3b749f2f204794a5da59eea8886ba2&ei=50
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Its Trump's fault! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson