Author Topic: Special counsel Jack Smith calls on Supreme Court to rule on Trump immunity claim  (Read 895 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Special counsel Jack Smith calls on Supreme Court to rule on Trump immunity claim
Special counsel Jack Smith asks Supreme Court for expedited decision on whether Trump is 'absolutely immune'
By Anders Hagstrom Fox News
Published December 11, 2023 1:07pm EST | Updated December 11, 2023 1:20pm EST

Special counsel Jack Smith asked the Supreme Court to rule on whether former President Donald Trump can be prosecuted on charges relating to his efforts to overturn the 2020 election results.

Smith's Monday filing seeks to go around an appeals court that had initially been expected to handle the case. A federal judge had earlier ruled that the prosecution could move forward, though Trump's legal team vowed to appeal the ruling.

"This case presents a fundamental question at the heart of our democracy: whether a former President is absolutely immune from federal prosecution for crimes committed while in office or is constitutionally protected from federal prosecution when he has been impeached but not convicted before the criminal proceedings begin," prosecutors wrote in Monday's filing.

Trump's trial in the election interference case is set to begin in March.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/special-counsel-jack-smith-calls-scotus-rule-trump-immunity-claim
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Three of those Justices owe Trump personally for their positions.  Alito and Thomas are bought and paid for.

There's a 50/50 change the Supreme Court will punt or delay until after 2024 election to save the embarassment of showing the American people how corrupt the Supreme Court has become.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline libertybele

Three of those Justices owe Trump personally for their positions.  Alito and Thomas are bought and paid for.

There's a 50/50 change the Supreme Court will punt or delay until after 2024 election to save the embarassment of showing the American people how corrupt the Supreme Court has become.

Personally, I believe he should be granted immunity. I'm not so sure that the 3 that Trump appointed would vote in his favor and the wild card has always been Roberts.  I believe he would rule against Trump as he tends to lean liberal. 

They will either wait till after the '24 election or simply refuse to hear the case. Either way, I don't foresee a positive outcome for Trump.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The writings of Thomas Paine, the US Declaration of Independence, and the US Constitution generally frown on the "Absolute/Divine Right of King" stuff.

////00000////

Do Constitutional Lawyers study Constitutional Law to defend and protect it, or to find loopholes they might be able to exploit?

There's nothing in the US Constiution that says the President of the United States can't invite some friendly, peaceful tourists to Washington, DC.

... but what do I know?  I never studied Consitutional Law under Professor Lawrence Tribe at Harvard Law School.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline rustynail

No standing.

Offline libertybele

No standing.

That certainly sounds familiar.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rustynail

#SCOTUS has *granted* Jack Smith’s motion to expedite the petition for certiorari before judgment—and has ordered former President Trump to respond to the petition by next Wednesday at 4 ET.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

#SCOTUS has *granted* Jack Smith’s motion to expedite the petition for certiorari before judgment—and has ordered former President Trump to respond to the petition by next Wednesday at 4 ET.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's clear that "no standing" only applies to cases that might benefit Trump!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Jack Smith is either a genius or one stupid mofo.   May the Mofo be with him.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 12:06:55 am by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court: Trump must respond to special counsel’s presidential immunity petition before Christmas
The Court’s next scheduled conference day for consideration is Jan. 5, 2024
 By Bradford Betz Fox News
Published December 11, 2023 6:19pm EST | Updated December 11, 2023 6:20pm EST

The Supreme Court has indicated it will expedite consideration of a petition by special counsel Jack Smith on whether former President Donald Trump can be prosecuted on charges he plotted to overturn the 2020 election results.

Smith made his request for the court to act with unusual speed to prevent any delays that could push back the trial until after next year's presidential election.

Trump's trial in the election interference case is set to begin in March.

The Court has asked Trump’s lawyers to respond to the special counsel's motion by next Wednesday, December 20 – two days later than Smith had requested.

The Court’s next scheduled conference day for consideration of such matters is Jan. 5, 2024. The court's brief order did not signal what it ultimately would do.

A federal judge ruled the case could go forward, but Trump said he would ask the federal appeals court in Washington to reverse that outcome. Smith is attempting to bypass the appeals court – the usual next step in the process – and have the Supreme Court take up the matter directly.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-trump-must-respond-special-counsel-presidential-immunity-petition-christmas
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court: Trump must respond to special counsel’s presidential immunity petition before Christmas
The Court’s next scheduled conference day for consideration is Jan. 5, 2024

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-trump-must-respond-special-counsel-presidential-immunity-petition-christmas
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BREAKING: Jack Smith to Use Trump’s Phone Data at January 6 Trial in DC
by Cristina Laila Dec. 11, 2023 9:00 pm

Special Counsel Jack Smith will use Trump’s phone data at his January 6 trial in DC according to a new court filing reviewed by The Gateway Pundit.

In September Trump was hit with 4 counts in Jack Smith’s January 6 case up in DC: Conspiracy to defraud the United States, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of and attempt to obstruct an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights.

According to the court filing, Jack Smith will call in an expert to testify on Trump’s phone data and location on January 6, 2021.

The expert witness has reportedly “extracted and processed data” from Trump’s phones and “one other individual.”

more
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/12/revealed-jack-smith-use-trumps-phone-data-january/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Supreme Court will hear challenge to Jan. 6 obstruction charge
by Ella Lee - 12/13/23 9:55 AM ET

The Supreme Court indicated Wednesday it will take up a challenge to an obstruction law used against scores of Jan. 6 rioters — and former President Trump — this term.

Joseph Fischer, a former police officer accused of being a Jan. 6 rioter, petitioned the high court to eliminate one of the several counts he faces: obstruction of an official proceeding.

The charge criminalizes “corruptly” obstructing, impeding or interfering with an official government proceeding and carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison. Fischer’s case is joined with two other rioters’ cases: Edward Lang and Garrett Miller.

Hundreds of rioters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, have faced the same charge — the “official proceeding” being Congress’ official count of Electoral College votes, the final step of the presidential election process that certified President Biden’s win over Trump in the 2020 election.

Trump himself faces the same charge in connection with his efforts to overturn the 2020 election, meaning any Supreme Court decision on the matter could affect his federal criminal case which is expected to head to trial in Washington early next year.

Fischer’s petition to the high court argues that hundreds of cases awaiting trial would benefit from the justices’ clarification of the statute, providing “critical guidance to district courts, prosecutors and defense counsel.” The Hill requested comment from Fischer’s counsel.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4357873-supreme-court-will-hear-challenge-to-jan-6-obstruction-charge/
Support the USO